Would you buy back your old bike?

Would you buy back your old bike?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
No way. You sold it and since then you have no idea what it has been through. You must have had a reason to sell and anyway, you deserve a brand new bike.

RWright

Guru
I gave my old Raleigh road bike to a kid that works with me. After I got back into cycling a couple of years later I called him and asked if he wanted to sell it to me. He told me someone had stolen it. :angry:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I have right of first refusal if the current owner of my first decent mtb (spesh rockhopper) ever wants to sell it.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I'm a terrible hoarder - anything I sell is something that really doesn't work for me, so my answer would be no.

(The last bike I sold was a touch to small for me - no big deal over short distances, but after 10 miles or so my back was feeling it).

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
There's no way I could buy back the old bike I'd want (Moulton) as it was scrapped by my dad when I went to college. But I would like to buy a replacement. One day I'll see a decent one I can afford.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I once sold a bike, then had the chance to buy it back, which I jumped at. Then realised that I'd sold it for a reason, so ended up selling it on the bay for a loss :sad:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
A similar situation to yours, I had a landrover that I used for competition and camping and allsorts of great, memorable stuff. I won a few trophies, introduced the kids to off-roading and camping and campfires, did loads of repairs and modifications to turn it into 'MY' truck. Owned it for 10yrs and eventually sold it to a club member as the growing kids didn't fit well in the 3 front seats of a cramped Defender. 2-3yrs later it came back on the market, I was in a position to buy and very tempted. It was a great sorted motor and I had had many, many great times with it. I decided to let it go and just keep the memories. I don't regret this decision.

You can't get the past back, time to move on DC!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Actually I might be talking complete Rollox! Not quite buying back a bike I have sold but near as damn it - Skolly's Raleigh Vittesse

Here's my 11yr old son on 'his' bike completing this years M/cr to Blackpool...

upload_2014-7-30_9-20-21.png

He rode his bike to school the next morning :thumbsup:

Leodis

Veteran
I would paint it Yellow and stick it on a council bike rack :thumbsup:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I have a 14 year old Scott road bike which has done around 30,000(mostly happy) miles. It wouldn't be worth selling as i'd only get a few hundred quid for it,and the constant thought of it being maybe being left to gather dust in someones garage,or even worse go rusty in someones backyard isn't worth a few hundred quid.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
Go for it DC. What have you got to lose? Yes, I guess that when you first ride it again it will be a creaky, groany, clicky, clunky mess, but that's just the bikes way of saying "that'll teach ya to sell me". Then you'll have the chat with him, grovel and apologise for which you'll be forgiven if you get him back to full working order.

ChrisEyles

Guru
Buy buy buy! If you're anything like as sentimental as I am, getting everything running smoothly again and polishing her up is going to feel *good* :smile: You just know that bike is itching to go riding on its old stomping grounds with you again...

If I saw my first road bike (puch alpine, "the yellow peril" or "peril" for short) on ebay... well, if I could identify it as mine, it would be the seller's lucky day!

Top Bottom