Would you join the territorial army?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Just heard a recruiting advert on talksport radio...so it got me thinking...would any of us volunteer to get blown up in afghanistan? I wouldnt I'll say that now...value my life to much, have lot's of respect for those that do though, braver men than me to be sure.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Many of us on here are now to old to join the TA's (35 if I remember rightly).

But.. one of my biggest regrets in life was not joining the forces.
Was going to join the RN straight from school. Had all the papers, ready to go. But the sex and drugs and rock n roll took it's hold.

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
snap...at 16 i was set on joining the green jackets...went on a two week adventure training in the lake district with their nco's when i was in the acf. Then I did an officer selection week at sandhurst...both lots of fun and i learnt a lot about myself including that I didnt want to spend my life being ordered around lol!

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Hell no, if you want to go and get yourself killed as part of some sort of glorious noble quest, a fool's errand in fact, then go right ahead, but no, I might be daft but I'm not thick!

The TA is supposed to be a reserve force of people ready for if there is a full-scale war (Russia invading or whatever they were thinking at the time). I think it is now being over used and even abused by posting off reservists to pointless war in Afghanistan.

Aside from the fact that it is totally pointless, unwinable and just a daft political move to stand by the USA so their force looks like it is some sort of world army instead of just the USA sticking their oar in, it should be a war faught by the regulars. If we dont have the men in the regulars to do that then dont go in!

Sadly hardly any of us had a choice at any election to vote for a party that was anti the war.

I guess it is fair enough though that if you take the Kings shilling you have to shoot at whoever you are told to shoot at and not ask questions. I think that would be the main thing that would stop me signing up (aside from the getting blown up bit).

Drago

Legendary Member
Joined shortly after i left the regular army, only left it in 2009. Did my 2nd Iraq tour with them. I could've gotten out of that easy because of work but I was mid divorce and needing a change. Finally left in 2009. The only weird part was being the oldest Lance Corporal by 20 years. But in all my time in the Army and TA I never shot anyone that didn't truly deserve it.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Many of us on here are now to old to join the TA's (35 if I remember rightly).

But.. one of my biggest regrets in life was not joining the forces.
Was going to join the RN straight from school. Had all the papers, ready to go. But the sex and drugs and rock n roll took it's hold.
My mum joined the Wrens in 1949... she lasted 2 weeks and left because she got annoyed when they woke her up in the mornings and insisted that she had to get up. She soon put them right....

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
This is the woman who got sacked from Merton College in Cambridge where she was a waitress in 1950... she was caught climbing back in to the college at 1am via a first floor window after a party.

Sounds like my kind of woman!!

I think about the most daring thing my Mum ever did was drive the wrong way up the one way system and out of the car park at the Swimming baths. Either that or eat something which was slightly out of date.
Life in the fast lane my Mum! :laugh:

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
..... The only weird part was being the oldest Lance Corporal by 20 years. ........

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRALh0e-nZIAsqeM01QicEoWsFVdo-0AeyGwLWgBWUIkS8UXQpWZA.jpg

:whistle:

Top Bottom