Would you join the territorial army?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
At least they won't arm TAs at home like the reservists in Switzerland.... all those rifles!

Yes, but this is Switzerland, about the worst that has ever happened there was that a train was delayed by a minute after someone accidentally dropped a Toblerone on the track.

Norm

Now, I would, as I work with many who are in the TA.

Back when I could, though, I didn't. Aside from the Falklands, there seemed to be very little which appeared to be worth signing up for back then.

My (much younger) brother did, and got a tour of Iraq out of it.

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
The army/marines wouldn't have me at 17 so i doubt they'd have me now even in the TA.
shame, i would have made a decent go of it, was hoping to join the kings like my old man.
meh.
nowdays i'm too round and have too much life to be running around a foreign country shooting at people.

Norm

On the decent war thing, it's kinda true. We didn't get involved in many publicised wars until Bosnia and Iraq, so there didn't seem much point in joining up to wave wooden rifles around. I did think about it whilst the Falklands was on but it was over before it started.
You make it sound like some sort of holiday.
if you had seen the updates we got from him, you'd still think it sounded like a holiday. Of course, they didn't make any mention of the bad bits until they got back.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Lived near two TA bases for many years and their shadow looms heavy. Used to work in a job where there were a number of TA people and ex-forces in that sector. I wouldn't join. Aside from other stuff which will be covered by other people, although many people were from a very similar background, many of them seemed to be motivated by completely different things in life and had very different personalities and behaviours. You couldn't get more different people despite living in the same area. A fair few of the people who were in it seemed to think it was fantastic.

Not the same thing at all, but a number of people in the united states told me very similar sounding sentiments about their feelings towards being near various forces and reserves including RC in terms of activities, ethos, recruitment etc.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
On the decent war thing, it's kinda true. We didn't get involved in many publicised wars until Bosnia and Iraq, so there didn't seem much point in joining up to wave wooden rifles around. I did think about it whilst the Falklands was on but it was over before it started.

And the irony continues. It is a bit like saying that there hasn't been a decent plane crash in ages!!

I get what you mean though.

Norm

And the irony continues. It is a bit like saying that there hasn't been a decent plane crash in ages!!
Well, kind of yes, but that would be more accurate if one was thinking about joining one of the emergency services.

The 1970s and 1980s were more about domestic troubles than international issues and, living in Windsor, we have two Guards regiments based here so I did spend most of my teens hearing about the negatives of army life from friends who were from Forces families.

compo

Veteran
As a former French Legionnaire I think I have done my share of soldiering.
I don't think I would join the TA even if I was young enough.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Well, kind of yes, but that would be more accurate if one was thinking about joining one of the emergency services.

It doesn't matter exactly what it is, a decent war, a decent plane crash.... Seeing it like that is all just a form of voyeurism and one of the reasons why we as a species will always be at war, be morbidly attracted to accidents, death and suffering etc etc.

The 1970s and 1980s were more about domestic troubles than international issues and, living in Windsor, we have two Guards regiments based here so I did spend most of my teens hearing about the negatives of army life from friends who were from Forces families.

And... Yet...

Top Bottom