Would you join the territorial army?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
I don't think we're talking about white feathers. No I wouldn't join the TA - but would I have fought in the 2nd world to fight Nazism. ...too bloody right I would have done! ( The state of my underwear would not have been very hygienic though!) :smile:

Saddle bum

Über Member
[QUOTE 2134011, member: 259"]What a daft comment.[/quote]

When next weekend is Rememberence Sunday, I consider it very apt.

I suppose I am considered old fashioned in appreciating the sacrifices made by former generations and the need for the present day generation to live up to their responsibilities - too many of them want to go-hug-a-tree or play with their X-Box.

Berties

Fast and careful!
Seems wrong that the TA are being expected to take up where reductions in the regulars have occurred. How do employers feel about letting their TA employees disappear for chunks of time?
The TA has changed and its not a pay game any more you can get called up ,though many volunteer to go to theatre,
I volunteered once and was on a training exercise when the first Gulf broke and went with the attached unit ,many of the local units were disbanded or training reduced to limit costs,but then there was soldiers like me who did their cft every year and bft and were expected to join fighting units to support them at battalion strength but still maintained 19 days training,
My employers never gave me paid time off and quit the TA when the kids came along as I wanted to spend all my holiday with them,should employees be paid full for the 2 week camp ,I would say it is a argument I could take on either side as a employer and ex TA soldier,the bounty and extra pay always kept you in a new car so it's not all bad

Seems wrong that the TA are being expected to take up where reductions in the regulars have occurred. How do employers feel about letting their TA employees disappear for chunks of time?
From my experience (at Chilwell for those in the know), very varied. Some soldiers wanted to volunteer for mob. but employer wouldn't allow it, so the soldier would "volunteer for compulsory call-out" if you see what I mean. Others had employers who didn't want them in the TA at all, others (BAe sticks in the mind for some reason;) ) were highly encouraging and made their pay up for the period of call-out.
We did get a letter from one employer (big place on the Cumbrian Coast) asking "can we have our **** ****** back before he reaches retirement age please?". He had been in Iraq for about 2 years at the time, and was on higher pay as a TA officer than at his-strangely for an officer-manual normal work.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I grew up in a military family, lived on bases and in quarters (and no, not officers' quarters either). I saw enough of what the military life did to people domestically to realise that it was pretty messed up even before I knew what the army was supposed to do. My dad was in the forces for 40 years and in almost everything he was involved in for the first few years he was on the wrong side (and I mean both morally and in a retrospective historical view) - in Aden and Malaya, for example. My mother grew up in Kenya in an army family, where it turns out that the British Army was involved in the most horrific abuses, torture and so on. This was not a case of a 'few bad apples.' We have this idea that it is somehow honorable to serve. There are circumstances where it can be - I don't think I would have refused to fight in WW2, for example whereas I would in WW1, and one can certainly make a strong case for the intervention in the former Yugoslavia - but for a large part of the last 50 years the British Army has been fighting the remnants of colonial wars or fighting on behalf of other states' imperial ambitions (e.g. Iraq - which my dad and many of his retired military colleagues seem to have opposed). I don't see any honour in this at all. I do see the exploitation of poor working class communities and the perversion of patriotism. And I suspect it was ever thus

When next weekend is Rememberence Sunday, I consider it very apt.

I suppose I am considered old fashioned in appreciating the sacrifices made by former generations and the need for the present day generation to live up to their responsibilities - too many of them want to go-hug-a-tree or play with their X-Box.

If you had any respect for previous generations, you wouldn't consider it appropriate to mention the 'white feather'.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Really? You use a distasteful phrase like 'decent war' and it becomes my problem for not calling you out on it immediately?

Your quotes didn't exactly help.

I hadn't contemplated the voyeurism angle

After apologising, I realised I didn't need too, because what you had written had hinted at it.

You said that you saw the Falklands and considered joining, but then when it stopped, you didn't see any point as the wouldn't be any real action (using wooden rifles I think you said) which, with hindsight makes sense..... But at the time, how could you have known there wouldn't be any other wars like that between then and the Gulf War? That's right, you didn't. Did you consider again when you saw the Gulf War?? Do you see where I'm going with this?

You probably haven't considered it the way I said it, but what I just wrote above is how what you wrote looked to me.

I await your enraged response saying how much I hate myself or something again....

I wouldn't join the army. Afghanistan has nothing to do with me. I don't care what happens over in the middle east. We have to worry about our country first. It's not our war.

Raging Squirrel

after what happened to a mate of mine in Iraq I don't think I'd have the heart to put my family through what his family went through. I do wish I'd joined the army when I was younger though.

Interesting "take" on decent wars here

Reservists pleading as "conscientious objectors" when called up for Iraq as it was not a real war, but an "act of revenge"

There are always a few objectors when it comes to stepping up to the plate

Berties

Fast and careful!
Interesting "take" on decent wars here

Reservists pleading as "conscientious objectors" when called up for Iraq as it was not a real war, but an "act of revenge"

There are always a few objectors when it comes to stepping up to the plate
Every TA soldier used to get call up papers as I was cvhq my parent unit was 5th battalion Irish rangers,to whom I did actualy train with once,basically you take your papers to the Railway station to get your ticket and post office to get some cash,on joining it should be the question you ask your self,could I go to war,and am I happy that the war is run by politicians for the countries gain,sometime not directly,
Like the article says its not a weekly larger fest,you get paid the money for a reason,we remember the dead every year,but spend time to give a thought to those who came back and the fears they endured

Top Bottom