Would you pay it???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
I know everyone's saying no, but if you had £20000000 in the bank and just fancied seeing what it's like could you be so sure?

The performance argument is the same as someone buying a supercar, they'll never be able to push it to its limits, but if they like it, and can afford it, I don't see any problem in buying one just to go to Harrod's occasionally.

We are saying no because we personally don't see it as worth the money. If somebody else feels differently, that is fine by me, but the question was whether you would buy it, not about whether anybody should.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It's like wellington boots. I bought a pair about 20 years ago but never wear them. They are a spider sanctuary in the garage.

Would I pay £500 for a pair of amazing super duper top quality wellies? No.

Would I pay 50p for a pair of amazing wellies? Still no. I don't wear wellies.

Same goes for race specific bikes.

I can't see any reason for me to go shopping on one of my 'better' bikes when I have a nice cheap DIY singlespeed bike that I built for that purpose. Mind you, I liked it so much that I have gradually been upgrading it. The initial cost was only about £70-80 but it is probably nearer £250 now. Still a very cheap bike though - I would be upset if somebody nicked it, but it wouldn't be a huge financial loss.

I reckon that smart thieves would start to learn which bikes were worth stealing. I suppose some smackhead who just wants to flog a stolen bike for £50 for his/her next fix wouldn't be so fussy though!

Living in a tiny flat meant my cheaper bike was in someone else's garage IIRC :sad:. I've carried my cheaper bike into shops too (although not into a supermarket, it be too heavy).

Touchwood, there's not many of those thieves about. I have unfortunately read about bike savvy thieves on Farceboke but are usually robbing friends shops or sheds (no witnesses) 👎 Any muggers are cowards too who only victimise folk they know they can overcome and don't target a specific bike :sad:

I would pay that for a bike but not that particular bike.
If someone came up with the sort of bike i like, that is a light tourer or day ride with decent integrated mudguards, luggage carrying without resorting to cable ties and bungees, robust 7 sprocket drive train, the whole to weigh less than 10kg and it justifiably cost that much, I might consider it.

mustang1

Guru
Here's another twist. Suppose that bike did not cost £15k, but only £15. If you buy it, you are not allowed to sell it or profit from it in any way. And you are only allowed to keep it for one year and then you must give it away to a cycling fanatic stranger and they are allowed to sell it if they want, or keep it, or do wha they want.

Would you then buy the bike for £15 for one year and give it away? Then if you bought any other bike or continued using your current bike, would you still enjoy riding it or would you keep hankering after the bike you just gave away?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Then if you bought any other bike or continued using your current bike, would you still enjoy riding it or would you keep hankering after the bike you just gave away?
That's why I refuse to have a go on an e-bike... One assisted 20+% ascent and I would probably never feel like dragging my carcass up one unassisted ever again! :laugh:

mustang1

Guru
That's why I refuse to have a go on an e-bike... One assisted 20+% ascent and I would probably never feel like dragging my carcass up one unassisted ever again! :laugh:

Funnily enough, my e-bike is one of the lesser used bikes in my fleet. I only get it out when I want to relax or go for an exploratory ride.

ColinJ

Funnily enough, my e-bike is one of the lesser used bikes in my fleet. I only get it out when I want to relax or go for an exploratory ride.
Ah, but you are in London. I think the e-bike would get more use if this were the profile of one of your easiest local routes... :whistle:

Cragg Vale loop profile.png

And many of them are more like this...

Trawden Long Causeway Cragg Vale 100 km route profile.gif

:okay:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!

For me, I can see an e-bike as a last resort if I am no longer able to get up the local hills without over-exerting my heart or without knackering my knees.

Never say never. 🙂

ColinJ

For me, I can see an e-bike as a last resort if I am no longer able to get up the local hills without over-exerting my heart or without knackering my knees.

Never say never. 🙂
That's how I see it. I don't want one but if I live long enough then one day I might need one, or will have to move somewhere less hilly!

Mmmmmm, try out, yes, definitely. Assuming they had one in my size. Would be a test ride that would leave me grinning from ear to ear as it's light years away from anything that I own / ride. I think most if not all of us would 'fess up to say they wouldn't mind having a go.

Buy? No. Even if it was way cheaper than that. It's just not practical, and since the roads out here make the pave on the Paris-Roubaix look like a billiard table, it would take one heck of a battering.

Top Bottom