Would you pay it???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
I can understand a car with a price tag of a million, an airplane of 100 million, a yacht for 50 million. But I just don't understand a bike which is a bunch of tubes stuck together with a couple of hoops at each end costing that much. It's not wonder material as carbon has been around for some time. Ditto the wheels and hubs and tyres. The real technical innovation would be an electronic group set and that's the same price as it's always been.

So, it seems to be that price just to be headline news and to bring the price of the lower end models up. That is all.

Personally, I don't see a bike at 15K as being as absurd as a car at a million.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I can understand a car with a price tag of a million, an airplane of 100 million, a yacht for 50 million. But I just don't understand a bike which is a bunch of tubes stuck together with a couple of hoops at each end costing that much. It's not wonder material as carbon has been around for some time. Ditto the wheels and hubs and tyres. The real technical innovation would be an electronic group set and that's the same price as it's always been.

So, it seems to be that price just to be headline news and to bring the price of the lower end models up. That is all.
The reason is, I think, as I described above.

The UCI insist that all riders use commercially available equipment, not prototypes or one-off bespoke models. So teams/their suppliers ignore that rule, use one-off bespoke models anyway and put them on sale at the highest price they can get away with (see @Alex321 's post here ). They're just a dodge to get around the rules, not a genuine offer for sale - although they will take your money if you insist.

And if this has the effect that you describe - to bring the prices of the lower models up - all the better for the manufacturers.

Last edited:
I can't remember the exact numbers but I went to the Colnago stand at the Roleur Classic show 5 or 6 years back. They had in one corner their top of the range bikes at something like £12-17k at the other side they had a £56k bike made for a sheik. The latter was ugly if I had his disposable cash I would have had the £17k one 😂

Petrichorwheels

If I were a top pro rider and I were being given the bike to ride, then I would certainly ride it! :laugh:

Even if I were well off - no, I wouldn't buy one. I don't need a bike as expensive as that. I might spend, say, £/€ 3,000 max. There are plenty of desperate people round the world who need that money more than I need a posh bike.

but just think how much faster you would get to LIdl and back.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
but just think how much faster you would get to LIdl and back.
I would save an awful lot of time...

... because I wouldn't dare leave a bike like that anywhere, no matter how big and heavy the locks were!

In fact, I would be scared to ride it in case some well-armed bike-savvy thieves in a van spotted me and decided that they would take the bike away from me mid-ride.

I would save an awful lot of time...

... because I wouldn't dare leave a bike like that anywhere, no matter how big and heavy the locks were!

In fact, I would be scared to ride it in case some well-armed bike-savvy thieves in a van spotted me and decided that they would take the bike away from me mid-ride.

The last time I took a decent bike to a supermarket (I cant remember if it was Aldi or Lidl) I carried it in.

The few bike jackings I have heard of havent targeted a particular bike but unfortunately a particular victim/place/time :sad:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The last time I took a decent bike to a supermarket (I cant remember if it was Aldi or Lidl) I carried it in.
I can't see any reason for me to go shopping on one of my 'better' bikes when I have a nice cheap DIY singlespeed bike that I built for that purpose. Mind you, I liked it so much that I have gradually been upgrading it. The initial cost was only about £70-80 but it is probably nearer £250 now. Still a very cheap bike though - I would be upset if somebody nicked it, but it wouldn't be a huge financial loss.

The few bike jackings I have heard of havent targeted a particular bike but unfortunately a particular victim/place/time :sad:
I reckon that smart thieves would start to learn which bikes were worth stealing. I suppose some smackhead who just wants to flog a stolen bike for £50 for his/her next fix wouldn't be so fussy though!

mustang1

Guru
Do they have a price for just the frame and fork?

Edit: yup, circa 5000 euros for Frame, fork, seatpost, headset, handlebar/stem.

Last edited:

mustang1

Guru
I can't see any reason for me to go shopping on one of my 'better' bikes when I have a nice cheap DIY singlespeed bike that I built for that purpose. Mind you, I liked it so much that I have gradually been upgrading it. The initial cost was only about £70-80 but it is probably nearer £250 now. Still a very cheap bike though - I would be upset if somebody nicked it, but it wouldn't be a huge financial loss.

I reckon that smart thieves would start to learn which bikes were worth stealing. I suppose some smackhead who just wants to flog a stolen bike for £50 for his/her next fix wouldn't be so fussy though!

Haha, sorry, when you said "smart thief", the first thing that came into my head was a thief who is connected to the internet.

Ok back to the topic.... :smile:

stephec

Legendary Member
I know everyone's saying no, but if you had £20000000 in the bank and just fancied seeing what it's like could you be so sure?

The performance argument is the same as someone buying a supercar, they'll never be able to push it to its limits, but if they like it, and can afford it, I don't see any problem in buying one just to go to Harrod's occasionally.

Top Bottom