Would you pay someone to clean your bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Working at a bike shop I’m regularly amazed at how filthy some bikes are when they come in for service, however we are quite please to clean these poor relics up.
Whenever I take my bike into the LBS for some work I always give it a good clean first. It's generally at its most spotless before I take it in. I honestly don't know why I bother, I doubt if they care. Often they will be removing and replacing parts that I have just cleaned, so it's doubly pointless. Same when I get the car serviced, it's the only time the interior sees a vacuum cleaner. (The exterior ... meh ... that gets cleaned by rain).

Today only, yes, as I'm running out of time to do it myself and it's going into the bike shop tomorrow. Hate giving shops a dirty bike as think its rude.

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Thanks for all the input. I think a service offering cleaning would certainly be viable if cost is reasonable. People who have nowhere to carry this out would find find this useful. If the operator could also identify issues and fix them would give added value.

david.rolls

Regular
I would find it difficult to justify paying someone to clean my motorcycle let alone the bicycle!

Perhaps there's a market for a super detailed clean? Like complete disassembly to clean every nook & cranny?

mustang1

Guru
Have a look at a bloke called bikespeeds on YouTube. He regularly washes bikes as part of the filmed services and details them sometimes. Usually 1 film every Tuesday and I find them so satisfying to watch.

On a personal note, would I pay… nope.

Yeah he does a service as well and cleaning is part of that.

Uhm, yeah I would pay a wash and have chain degreased at the same time. If there could be some adjustments thrown in at the same time then yeah I would pay for that.

What would the cost be? Bikes, while.much smaller objects than cars, have a lot of ins and outs and cranky bits to get around.

CharleyFarley

Yeah he does a service as well and cleaning is part of that.

Uhm, yeah I would pay a wash and have chain degreased at the same time. If there could be some adjustments thrown in at the same time then yeah I would pay for that.

What would the cost be? Bikes, while.much smaller objects than cars, have a lot of ins and outs and cranky bits to get around.

I just watched his video. I couldn't believe the state of the bike he worked on. It looked like it had been abused for twenty years, with no servicing whatsoever. I try to imagine the guy who rode it in such a state. I look my bikes over on a regular basis, at least every hundred miles or whenever something isn't quite right. They'd never have to be dismantled and cleaned as Bikespeeds did.

fritz katzenjammer

Der Ubergrosserbudgie
Depending on the bike I can completely strip it, clean it up to look like new and have it reassembled for tuning in 60 to 90 minutes. A proper parts washer with the right cleaners and the right tools to hand are all thats needed.

We use Ozzy Juice in a recirculating washer that warms and filters the cleaner. A good scrubby brush and some gloves and that crud just melts away. I try to keep it away from “sealed” bearings though as it cleans the grease out of those pretty quickly if you’re not careful.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Just dunk the bike in local canal. Job done.

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Depending on the bike I can completely strip it, clean it up to look like new and have it reassembled for tuning in 60 to 90 minutes. A proper parts washer with the right cleaners and the right tools to hand are all thats needed.

We use Ozzy Juice in a recirculating washer that warms and filters the cleaner. A good scrubby brush and some gloves and that crud just melts away. I try to keep it away from “sealed” bearings though as it cleans the grease out of those pretty quickly if you’re not careful.
Yeahbut not everyone has the knowhow, facilities or tools to do that.

Good morning,

I am currently working in a small industrial estate and quite like the idea that someone would come on Friday and clean commute bikes, there may even be enough customers for this is to be worth the person's time.

Coming to the house though would be too much hassle for me, I would rather do it that wait around for some to turn up.

Both going to a centre or having a work's visit where the person works unattended would worry me
as I have Di2 on my commute bike. I would be concerned that the person providing the service may not recognise it and a do something dumb with a pressure washer. It has the the older under the downtube battery mount and this can collect water, or I tried to push the rear mech is so that I could clean the sprocket.

Bye

Ian

D

Deleted member 26715

Can I have a price to get this back to as new please

20230506_091509.jpg

20230506_091516.jpg

20230506_091526.jpg

Top Bottom