Would you pay someone to clean your bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
I asked my other half this, she said "no because you do it for free!"

Not dumb are ‘they’ 😎

freiston

Veteran
Detailing is the art of cleaning, beautifying, enhancing and protecting your cars (Interior, exterior and everywhere inbetween). To the enth degree by many.

The time, skill, money spent along with unwavering attention to detail some enthusiasts have is mind blowing.

Not JUST about having a fab looking clean / protected car / motorcycle, push-bike in my eyes though [Im an avid Detailer]. It’s about solitude, improving on something, time spent outside in fresh air, a sense of achievement etc etc

https://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forums/

Seems like cleaning but crossing the point where appreciation of the rule of diminishing returns is thrown out with the wash/rinse water ;)

I take your point about it being about more than getting something clean. I once was cleaning up the other half's teaspoons (she drinks tea - I don't. I don't understand how spoons and cups can get so stained so fast) and ended up spending a few hours polishing them all with some polishing paste until they looked better than new. It didn't last long and I don't bother any more - just a good scrub in the washing up bowl.
Re. the bike - when I do clean it (other than giving it a quick wipe), I like to do a decent job of it, dropping the wheels out to get to the hard to reach bits around the mudguards etc. and I'll even take the cassette off to clean it - but ymmv and I dare say some would think of my "proper job" as a quick half-hearted job.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Not JUST about having a fab looking clean / protected car / motorcycle, push-bike in my eyes though [Im an avid Detailer]. It’s about solitude, improving on something, time spent outside in fresh air, a sense of achievement etc etc

If you really want a sense of achievement, pop round to mine and clean the interior of my car. That really would be a real achievement. And for the solitude ... I promise not to offer you a cup of tea. ;)

CharleyFarley

No way, Jose! We don't get filthy weather in Florida; it's either sunny or raining, and I don't ride in the rain unless I'm caught in it. My bike gets slightly dusty and all it takes to clean it is a 2" paint brush to brush the dust off. I usually do it when I'm giving the chain its regular 100 miles clean and lube. I put the bike on the work stand (to do the chain) then spin the wheels while holding the paint brush to the rims. When I'm done with the dusting, I give the whole thing a dousing with spray polish. My fat bike is now six years old and looks like new. Same for the 3-years old cruiser. Five minutes is all it takes to clean each bike. If I paid someone else, at $10 an hour, they'd make 83 cents per bike. Nah, I'm too cheap even for that.

Drago

Legendary Member
I use my old Y fronts to clean and polish my bike, although I really ought to wash them first as the bike seems to end up, er, 'muddier' than before I started.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I’m not an enthusiastic bike cleaner but wouldn’t pay someone else to do it because I’m a tight@rse. The functional bits on my main ride are pretty filth-tolerant, which hasn’t improved my maintenance regimen.

fritz katzenjammer

Der Ubergrosserbudgie
My LBS offers standard servicing or "clean and degrease" service. Comes back with drive train spotless.

Yeah, we do that... some of the cleaners are amazing, especially if used warm. Our parts washer warms and filters the cleaner as it pumps it.

They are very good at cleaning the lube out of freewheels and hubs and bearings as well.

Not that you can get it back in there nearly as easily.

I spent years in engineering in the automotive industry, primarily in bearings oddly enough. A lot of the bearings I see when servicing bikes have pretty marginal sealing systems, certainly not what we would have passed off as waterproof. Once you treat them to the parts washer their days are likely numbered.

Top Bottom