Would you ride to work if your boss paid you to?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
offered financial incentives

Close to 50 per cent of Australians would ride to work if they were offered financial incentives to do so by their workplace, according to new research from the Heart Foundation and the Cycling Promotion Fund.

The research, which was released on Monday, surveyed 2000 people aged between 25 and 54 years old who do not cycle to work and live with 15km of their office.

Up to 80 per cent of those surveyed said they supported financial incentives to encourage people to ride to work, with a lack of access to a bike being the biggest reason for not riding.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
This is exactly what I had in mind with my previous thread: http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/what-no-novated-leases-for-bicycles.167580/
Australia's more than happy to subsidise motorists, but won't even consider the idea for cyclists. I don't need to argue the many health and financial benefits of cycling to any CC forum member, and I wish more people over here would recognise those benefits. Unfortunately, they're blinded by prejudice (just my opinion, though).

Crankarm

Guru
offered financial incentives

Close to 50 per cent of Australians would ride to work if they were offered financial incentives to do so by their workplace, according to new research from the Heart Foundation and the Cycling Promotion Fund.

The research, which was released on Monday, surveyed 2000 people aged between 25 and 54 years old who do not cycle to work and live with 15km of their office.

Up to 80 per cent of those surveyed said they supported financial incentives to encourage people to ride to work, with a lack of access to a bike being the biggest reason for not riding.

But these morons have access to a car which is considerably more expensive to purchase and run and yet they still won't cycle? So not only would they save money cycling, but they would also be paid by their employer …………..

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
This is exactly what I had in mind with my previous thread: http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/what-no-novated-leases-for-bicycles.167580/
Australia's more than happy to subsidise motorists, but won't even consider the idea for cyclists. I don't need to argue the many health and financial benefits of cycling to any CC forum member, and I wish more people over here would recognise those benefits. Unfortunately, they're blinded by prejudice (just my opinion, though).
They mention the Cycle2Work scheme in this country and the possibilty for something along the same lines.

On my public sector wage I can't afford to run a car or the £7.60 it would cost on public transport for my daily 15 mile round commute.
After nearly year I don't think I could give up my early morning cycle to work (except for thick fog).
Even this morning, it's 20mph winds and rain but not having my daily morning endorphin fix is unthinkable to me now.

Having the company pay for my cycle commutes would be sweet. As long as it was some kind of system where I was paid for the rides I did, when I did them. I wouldn't want to be forced into riding when conditions made it too risky (ice and fog for example).

young Ed

Veteran
in short, YES! :biggrin:
i cycle to school for free as it is and will be cycling to my apprenticeship starting next september hopefully
but thinking on a numerical side of things:

i go to school 190 days in a year (i just googled it :smile: )
lets say i ride in and back home again 150 of those days due to bad weather etc for the other 40 (i probably do more)
my commute is a 15 mile round trip
150*15 mile commute=2250 miles commuting a year
lets say a rate of 5p per mile 2250*£0.05=£112.5
or 10p per mile because my school or work place is very generous and i am a senior employee ;) 2250*£0.10=£225

i would most certainly commute to school for an extra £112.50 a year plus the health benefits plus the fact it wakes me up and makes more more productive plus the enjoyment :smile:
Cheers Ed

Sara_H

Guru
In a way, I feel like I already get paid to ride to work as it would cost me £3.80 every day to catch the bus. That's not an insignificant amount of money saved when you add it all up.
Unlike young Ed, I can't be bothered to work out how many days a year I ride to work (I usually only work 3 days a week), but a rough calculation tells me that I would spend about £600 per year on bus fare if I didn't ride.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I do get paid to ride to work. I can claim £2/ day for cycling (but also walking, public transport or travelling by car as a liftshare passenger or driver).

It's nice, but i'd ride anyway.

Top Bottom