Would you take revenge on a car ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
It looks like there is a lot of anger out there. Im sure most accidents are just that and not meant by the idiot driving. So unless it was an aggressive incident, I wouldnt do what I probably felt like doing, but followed the rules for claims ect.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Or stick one of those "smelly arm pit of a camel" stickers on the car............. that have been going for.....over..........20 years................:bicycle:

goo_mason said:
Was very tempted tonight as I arrived home. Some selfish git had parked by backing into the close just before the main door to our flats (which people tend to do if they can't get parked anywhere else).

There was just enough room to squeeze myself sideways between the car and the wall, carrying my bike held high above my head. I was soooo tempted to drag the bike sideways across the roof, just so that the pedal might accidentally gouge a big line in his paintwork. :bicycle:

Quite a few years ago the council were going to come and put a removable bollard up to stop folks parking there, as it cuts off any access to the emergency services should there be a fire in the flats on either side. I even had a date from them, and then they ran out of cash for that year and it was cancelled. Now I regularly get home to find the entrance to the flats blocked. :girl:
I was in a similar situation last year. For 3 days on the trot some spanner decided to park their car immediately outside the front door to the communal stairwell and fire hydrant. I had to squeeze through a 6 inch gap lifting the heavy hybrid higher than the car. Its lucky in a wee way that all the wheel chair users live in other blocks because it would have been a real barrier to them. I think I resolved if it was there again I was just going to lift my bike onto its bonnet, then up the windscreen and onto the roof and if it left a mark hopefully they'd get the message. Touch wood the driver has never done that again; so I didn't get the chance, perhaps their physic or more likely somebody more vocal complained.

J4CKO said:
Yes I do that, just the other night in fact, one day, I may just walk over one to get the point across, completely unacceptable forcing peds into the road.

i did a dukes of hazzard style bonnet slide over a car to get out of my flat once, with skateboard held in one hand above my head

got the point home

moved since then, there's a van occasionally parked outside for the shop below, normally there for half an hour per day (not every day tho) they have to park there cos its the 'frontage' belonging to the shop

after seeing me struggle in and out with the bike they've been giving me enough space to get out.

with regards to door mirrors, i think one day a push chair (part of the plan is to have kids within the next deccade) might take some out :sad:

col

Legendary Member
HLaB said:
I was in a similar situation last year. For 3 days on the trot some spanner decided to park their car immediately outside the front door to the communal stairwell and fire hydrant. I had to squeeze through a 6 inch gap lifting the heavy hybrid higher than the car. Its lucky in a wee way that all the wheel chair users live in other blocks because it would have been a real barrier to them. I think I resolved if it was there again I was just going to lift my bike onto its bonnet, then up the windscreen and onto the roof and if it left a mark hopefully they'd get the message. Touch wood the driver has never done that again; so I didn't get the chance, perhaps their physic or more likely somebody more vocal complained.

Just call the police and tell them a car is blocking a fire point and exit and you cant get in or out, It would be towed away wouldnt it? That would make a point they seem to remember, in their pocket.

I have never ripped off an aerial and whipped a car with it, I've never snuck out at night and poured milk down the vents of a car, never knocked door mirrors off, never ripped off a windscreen wiper, never thrown my bike at the windscreen of a bus, never walked across the roof of a car parked in my way nor have I ever kicked a drivers door so hard that the window smashed. I've never even removed the keys from the ignition through the open window of a car and dropped them down a drain. Nor would I ever do any such thing. Your Honour.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
mickle said:
I have never ripped off an aerial and whipped a car with it, I've never snuck out at night and poured milk down the vents of a car, never knocked door mirrors off, never ripped off a windscreen wiper, never thrown my bike at the windscreen of a bus, never walked across the roof of a car parked in my way nor have I ever kicked a drivers door so hard that the window smashed. I've never even removed the keys from the ignition through the open window of a car and dropped them down a drain. Nor would I ever do any such thing. Your Honour.

Like your style:bravo:

yello

goo_mason said:
Some selfish git had parked by backing into the close just before the main door to our flats

When I lived in London, I had some women do this quite frequently. I spoke with her, left notes reminding her, all to no avail. Not only did it make life difficult getting my bike in and out but it also completely blocked access to the rubbish bins.

She was insistent that because there was only a single yellow line that she was allowed to park there out of hours. Suffice to say, I was very very tempted to 'accidently' damage her car but never did. I did allow myself a smile though when I saw the car with the front stoved in!

User76 said:
Spot on.

I was knocked off from behind a couple of years ago. The police did nothing for ages and eventually 'ran out of time' or whatever the phrase is, despite me chasing regularly.

I will just say, I'm OK about it now:evil:

...and yet, you question MY motivation?!

So how does vandalism help? This driver is probably that little bit angrier now and will take his revenge on some other poor road user.

allen-uk

My missus was waiting in a supermarket car park for a parking space. Someone was pulling out, so she waited, indicator flashing, for them to get out. A car coming the other way (who must have seen the situation) took advantage of her putting her car in gear to drive into the car parking space.

Wife, never one to accept louts quietly, said 'Oi, that's my parking space.' Lout turned, gave her the finger, and said 'Tough'.

Wife, as above, finally parked, went into the shop, bought a box of cook's matches (the very long things), went back to car park, and put a match into each one of lout's 4 tyre valves. Lout, when he returned, found 4 flat tyres.

Wife, thankfully, had by this time skidaddled.

A

Tharg2007

Veteran
col said:
Im sure most accidents are just that and not meant by the idiot driving.
There no such thing as an "accident" only Careless People

fossyant said:
Or stick one of those "smelly arm pit of a camel" stickers on the car............. that have been going for.....over..........20 years................:smile:

what are those?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
If you call the Fire Brigade, and they have not enough to do, they might well come down and move the car. And when they move cars, they tend to stay moved. They also have the power of arrest.....

I've done the revenge thing a lot of times. In recent years I've tended towards subtlety - chasing after, and then pointing out to the driver that there's a nasty noise coming from his rear left hub, and that the wheel doesn't look as if it's running true.....but I have done the direct thing. I'm afraid to say that when the Babe is cut up I do tend to lose it pretty much entirely, and go for maximum humiliation of the driver. On one occasion this led to a declaration of war on France - but that's a different story.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
col said:
Im sure most accidents are just that and not meant by the idiot driving.
Probably true, in that no one sets off on a drive thinking "I will scare someone/knock them off/kill them today". Those outcomes are, however, a fairly predictable consequence on most occasions of driving too fast, allowing yourself to be distracted by things going on in the car, chancing an overtake where there isn't really room, &c &c.

Most of what are termed "accidents" are the result of decisions taken by the parties involved with foreseeable consequences, imo - the bizarre terminology we use to describe these decisions and their consequences is the result of a very car and driver centred culture (again, imo). (Which doesn't make retributive violence/vandalism right, just to be clear).

Tom Vanderbilt (author of "Traffic") talks a bit about this terminology and the thought process behind it on his blog, e.g.

I am frankly not sure why we are so afraid to assign responsibility in car crashes. Is it that we view traffic violations in general as “folk crimes,” not quite “real” crimes? Is it the “there for the grace of God” argument, that it may someday be us behind the wheel of “a car that strikes a pedestrian”?
http://www.howwedrive.com/2009/03/28/the-passive-voice-is-killing-me/

Top Bottom