Would you use a repaired tube?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
WRONG! Swap for a pre-repaired tube at the roadside then fix the punctured one later. There is no limit to the number of patches that can be safely applied to a tube. The end of life is reached when a catastrophic event occurs, the patches start to perish, the tube starts to perish or the valve stem begins to separate from the tube.
How do you know your repair is good? Swapping the patched tube back in provides a means of testing.

When I used to do a lot of Sunday runs with clubs the riders who got the most punctures invariably had loads of patches on already.
I can interpret this two ways:

1) Voodoo allows for a disproportionate number or glass shards to attack only previously patched tubes.
2) The patches were crap to start off with.

Let me throw some salt over my shoulder before I flip a coin and decide which of the two would satisfy Mr Occum.

screenman

Legendary Member
So you are dropping down at hill at 45mph and your seconds old non-patched decides to have a catastrophic failure

I would suggest less likely to happen that a multi patches tube. I respect your knowledge so perhaps you can explain this for me, when I patch a tube and pump it up there is an obvious stress area around the patch, does the effect the tube, Michelin technician told me it did so what is your opinion.

I would suggest less likely to happen that a multi patches tube. I respect your knowledge so perhaps you can explain this for me, when I patch a tube and pump it up there is an obvious stress area around the patch, does the effect the tube, Michelin technician told me it did so what is your opinion.

My opinion is that the Michelin technician didn't have a degree in polymeric chemistry.

My instinct would have been to ask him to explain said stress.

My conclusion is that he was either:

1) Ignorant but sincere
2) Greedy and wanted to sell tubes.

Since I don't have much to go with other than a brief second-hand recount of the encounter, that my conclusion is inconclusive.

Now, where did I put my patch and solution? I have work to do.

screenman

Legendary Member
My opinion is that the Michelin technician didn't have a degree in polymeric chemistry.

My instinct would have been to ask him to explain said stress.

My conclusion is that he was either:

1) Ignorant but sincere
2) Greedy and wanted to sell tubes.

Since I don't have much to go with other than a brief second-hand recount of the encounter, that my conclusion is inconclusive.

Now, where did I put my patch and solution? I have work to do.

You can see the stress point, can you explain what is happening?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
You simply don't get catastrophic failures because a tube is patched. So whatever straw man theory you have, clearly it is not evidence based. Patching has been a good reliable repair method for over a hundred years. New tube every time is just a way to get you spend your money on tubes rather than beer. More fool you.

screenman

Legendary Member
You simply don't get catastrophic failures because a tube is patched. So whatever straw man theory you have, clearly it is not evidence based. Patching has been a good reliable repair method for over a hundred years. New tube every time is just a way to get you spend your money on tubes rather than beer. More fool you.

No fool here, 2 flats in the last ten years, tubes changed yearly and put to other uses. As for beer, in one end and out the other.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I'll patch mine with "old school" patches at least three times. I'll stop if the patches are really close together or if one of them needs to be close to the valve. It's one of the few things that anybody can do to make something as good as new. That's got to be good.

Top Bottom