Wrigley Velos Manchester Velodrome Bash

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colly

Re member eR
Yes, a bike accident! :sad:

Two weeks ago, riding down the Cadishead Way on the path. It was that glorious sunny day. Late afternoon, riding into the sun . Crossing a junction, I crossed the first side ok, but as I crossed the second half, a black car turned off the main road into the side road that I didn't see until he turned. I braked hard, we missed each other but I went flying. Driver stopped and helped me up , left thumb a funny shape and painful. I wheeled my bike to his house. He called me a taxi. 5 and a half hours at Salford Royal. Dislocated thumb straightened under local. Whole hand swelling up and painful. Sent home. Next day right thumb and hand also painful. Finally seen in fracture clinic 6 days later. Torn ligament on left thumb diagnosed, hand put in plaster cast. Right thumb partially torn ligament. Hand in splint. Op to repair left thumb last Saturday. Very painful all week. Right thumb starting to settle but still very limited use.
As you can see, I can type!

How's the bike, I hear you ask?
Mr K has straightened the bent shifter.
Bar tape torn and bar end a bit bashed.
Saddle torn.
So, compared to me, fine really .
Blimey Katherine.

As bad as that is it could have been so much worse.
Hope you heal fast and have no lingering side effects.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

Two weeks ago, riding down the Cadishead Way on the path. It was that glorious sunny day. Late afternoon, riding into the sun . Crossing a junction, I crossed the first side ok, but as I crossed the second half, a black car turned off the main road into the side road that I didn't see until he turned. I braked hard, we missed each other but I went flying. Driver stopped and helped me up , left thumb a funny shape and painful. I wheeled my bike to his house. He called me a taxi. 5 and a half hours at Salford Royal. Dislocated thumb straightened under local. Whole hand swelling up and painful. Sent home. Next day right thumb and hand also painful. Finally seen in fracture clinic 6 days later. Torn ligament on left thumb diagnosed, hand put in plaster cast. Right thumb partially torn ligament. Hand in splint. Op to repair left thumb last Saturday. Very painful all week. Right thumb starting to settle but still very limited use.

Saddle torn.
Yikes... :eek:

I just spotted your post. It sounds like a really nasty accident, but it could have been much worse. Heal soon!

PS I hope you can join me and several others on our long Cheshire ride in June next year.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.

Saddle torn.

For some reason I didn't get notified of additions to this thread and had seen elsewhere on the forum, a suggestion of you being off your bike. Sorry to hear of your off. I hope you have a speedy recovery.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
OK, time to bump this thread.

We still have two places available for this visit to the velodrome now that @Katherine has had the misfortune of picking up an injury. :sad:

The places are open to anyone that is a capable rider, although it must be stressed that this is a social meeting and there is no pressure to be the fastest, or even remotely professional. I have never done track cycling before and my own attempt may be comical at best. We have booked the track for two hours with a coach to get us going and ensure we are briefed and safe while on the track. This is all about coming along and trying it with like minded cyclists in an informal setting. You are unlikely to be the slowest (Unless your name is @potsy).

So, forum members, friends from a cycling club, keen cycling colleagues at work, family members, all are welcome and this is surely a great and different way to kick off your Christmas and meet new people.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
OK, time to bump this thread.

We still have two places available for this visit to the velodrome now that @Katherine has had the misfortune of picking up an injury. :sad:

The places are open to anyone that is a capable rider, although it must be stressed that this is a social meeting and there is no pressure to be the fastest, or even remotely professional. I have never done track cycling before and my own attempt may be comical at best. We have booked the track for two hours with a coach to get us going and ensure we are briefed and safe while on the track. This is all about coming along and trying it with like minded cyclists in an informal setting. You are unlikely to be the slowest (Unless your name is @potsy).

So, forum members, friends from a cycling club, keen cycling colleagues at work, family members, all are welcome and this is surely a great and different way to kick off your Christmas and meet new people.
Beefy's got over his arse boil I'll give him a nudge.

kapelmuur

Veteran

Saddle torn.

I’m an infrequent visitor to this message board and have only just read of your accident. I hope you’re well on the way to recovery and back on the century rides before too long.

Best wishes, Dave

Katherine

Guru
Thanks.
Now on my 4th plaster cast which I can take off to start carefully moving the thumb. Right thumb nearly better but quite weak, still in a splint.
The cables from the shifter are snapped, so I'm going to buy a new group set because the front rings and cassette are quite worn anyway.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
All 16 spots filled now and it's getting closer :hyper:

Really looking forward to it and it is kind of like the best Christmas present I could ask for (even though I have given it to myself :rolleyes:). Hope you are all busy training and practicing your race face (even though it absolutely isn't a race :whistle:).

@Katherine I sent you a PM about this earlier in the week but haven't had a reply so just wondering if it didn't get to you for some reason (or got lost in the tide of Mod PMs you must receive?).

colly

Re member eR
I'm training even as I type this on my mobile. Kind of tricky riding one handed, at night, in the rain but I'm getting the hang of it.

Top Bottom