Wrong item sent, do I have to return it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ashaman42

Über Member
I ordered some bits for my bike recently and paid extra for faster delivery.

Instead of a new computer mount I received a full new computer. Now I think had I not told them it's unlikely they would have noticed but I'm a good little boy and let the retailer know.

They want me to send the wrong item back to them and wait till they get it before they'll post out the correct item. Or I can pay the difference in price and keep the computer.

Am I being unreasonable in thinking that they should send me the right thing first and refund my extra fee for the quick postage? Or at least knock a bit off the price if I choose to keep the computer as had I not said anything they would have lost out on a good chunk of money?

Alan Whicker

At the very least they should send you out a self-addressed and stamped parcel so you can send it back. It's their fault, you shouldn't be out of pocket - it'd be nice if they sent you a little goodwill gift for the inconvenience too.

OP
OP
A

Ashaman42

Über Member
Well to be fair they did say they'd refund the return postage after I'd sent it so I'd only be out of pocket for a short time.

I'm not trying to screw them here, if I was I'd not have mentioned the mistake in the first place but I don't think a gesture of goodwill is unreasonable.

I'm not sure how closely they read their emails, the reply to my initial message was just that they would fix the mistake, no "thank you" for saving them some money.

Tharg2007

Veteran
I think the fact that you were honest enough to tell them and they then threw that trust in your face by saying return it first then we send the other one out would make me see red.
Tell them you made a mistake and have the correct part, sell it on ebay and get your part from someone else.

Chrisz

Über Member
I'd put it to them and see what they say - sounds quite reasonable to me. As you say, if you were dishonest they'd be the one's to lose out!

Norm

I'd tell them you want the piece you ordered and a refund for the extra postage. They have broken the contract so there's no reason for you to lose out.

Whilst you have the computer, you hold the major bargaining card too, as there's little that they can do to force you.

Alternatively, just take the mount out and send them back the rest. :becool:

OP
OP
A

Ashaman42

Über Member
I did suggest using the mount and once they've sent the right mount I'd pop it in the computer box and post it bacl but they didn't even acknowledge that question and just answered another question in the email.

Could they not take me to court if I didn't return it though?

Norm

Ashaman42 said:
Could they not take me to court if I didn't return it though?
Ultimately, yes. Would they do it for £30? Probably not but that's a gamble for you to take. They wouldn't be able to just turn up with the bailiffs, they'd warn you, solicitor's letters etc and, even if they did, you could argue that you were the injured party as you had suffered the loss from their mistake.

OP
OP
A

Ashaman42

Über Member
Fair enough, I'm not intending to just keep it anyway, don't think that's the right thing to do even if it were legally correct. Will have to email them and see if they're will to compromise.

Bandini

Ashaman42 said:
They want me to send the wrong item back to them and wait till they get it before they'll post out the correct item.

Don't know about you, but I am far too busy to play postman for a company! They send you the correct item - that you, their customer are still waiting for, and the franked packaging - you can stick it in a letter box. Or no dice. There customer service sounds appalling.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Ashaman42 said:
Fair enough, I'm not intending to just keep it anyway, don't think that's the right thing to do even if it were legally correct. Will have to email them and see if they're will to compromise.

Can you telephone instead of emailing? They might actually answer the question you ask if you can talk to someone. It's easier to misunderstand an email.

Noodley

Bandini said:
Don't know about you, but I am far too busy to play postman for a company! They send you the correct item - that you, their customer are still waiting for, and the franked packaging - you can stick it in a letter box. Or no dice. There customer service sounds appalling.

Exactly. You hold all the cards. Tell them what you want them to do.

Top Bottom