Wrong size bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I recently purchased a Kona Jake cyclocross bike in a size 60cm. Bit of a spur of the moment purchase. I am 6.1 with about a 33' inside leg.
I feel this bike is too big, and am looking for a change (possibly to a true road bike)
I have already changed the stem but still am reaching too far.
The question is, do I change frame and keep component parts or just change the bike altogether?
Kevin...

Monkspeed

I recently purchased a Kona Jake cyclocross bike in a size 60cm. Bit of a spur of the moment purchase. I am 6.1 with about a 33' inside leg.
I feel this bike is too big, and am looking for a change (possibly to a true road bike)
The question is, do I change frame and keep component parts or just change the bike altogether?
Kevin...

I was in a similar situation as yourself recently. The seat post is so high to accomodate our long legs that it makes it an even bigger stretch to reach the handlebars.

I changed my stem to a Ritchey stem with a 30 degree rise and shorter reach, 110mm down to 90mm. It has made my comfort and pleasure much better now, maybe you could try that too? http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ritchey-comp-30-degree-stem/ (maybe try the 70/80mm version, all depends on your reach).

:smile:

60cm is very very big, certainly at least one size bigger than you needed, possibly even two, 56cm sounds more like it - a 58cm at the very most.

donnyjnk

sounds like you definitley got the wrong size. I am 6ft and i got the 59cm frame but had a short stem. i have now changed both bikes and have a 55cm frame with a campagnolo riser and turn the bars up a little

EYE-TYE-MAD

Kevin...
Sounds like you have convinced yourself the frame is not right; trust me, when that happens it doesn't matter if it starts laying golden eggs, it's got to go. Regards the bits, depends what they are, if they are Campag Record or something, keep em, if not stick the stuff on ebay & make a fresh start. It's more hassle to split the bike & sell the bits but in my experience you will get more money back than selling the bike complete.

Top Bottom