Wtf........ put weight on?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
My weight is still coming off weekly, now down by 4 stone or 25 kilo. My muscle bulk is steadily increasing, 150 si ups and 150 press ups per day 6 days a week plus other bit is doing this. Anyway back on point, many are saying muscle weighs more than fat, so come on how much more?

How about this, what weighs the most a ton of bricks or a ton of feathers?

Maybe building muscle just hold the fat in place better.

I also read this fine article,

For a natural bodybuilder females can lay down 1/2 lb of dense muscle per month. A male 1 lb of muscle per month. These studies conclusively show factual data unless enhanced with supplementation. I am not talking about scale weight, or adopoise tissue. For more information on muscular enhancement and major muscle growth, search this website for many muscle repair / testosterone boosters that can help you with the goal of muscular hypertrophy.

Sorry guys I would say if you are not losing weight then you are likely to be putting in more calories than you are using, not turning into the Hulk over night.

Here is another of my night time readings.

Summary: Muscle density is 1.06 g/ml and fat density is (about) 0.9
g/ml. Thus, one liter of muscle would weight 1.06 kg and one liter of
fat would weight 0.9 kg. In other words, muscle is about 18% denses
than fat. This should not be confused with the "energy density" of
muscle and fat, which may be where you got the 3x figure that you
mention in your question."

Please remember I am a PDR instructor not a health expert, my only claim is that I have lost 25 kilo in the last 6 months.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
If you are overweight and trying to slim down I dont understood the idea of not weighing yourself.I lost 4 stone last year and weighed every friday morning.

If weight didnt come off for a week or two i would up the exercise and cut the calories a bit until it started coming down again. The extra weight of gained muscle only becomes an issue when you get close to your ideal weight.

There's a lot of truth in what you say there Banjo. What you are in effect doing is tricking your body out of getting used to a fitness/diet regime and the plateau effect. Funnily enough that's why the occasional 'blip' in having a few jars or overeating doesn't really do much damage - when you get back on track your body has to get used to another regime all over again.

Bill

screenman

Legendary Member
Brilliant Banjo, that is exactly how I lost mine, it is also my feeling about the muscle being heavier bit. In other words you should be losing weight far quicker than you can build muscle, if you are over weight that is.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Personally, I just see the whole "if you didnt lose enough weight it must be added muscle mass" as a form of enabling. Of course it not nice to just say, yup you didnt do as well as you should have this week. But quite frankly, maybe its just my mentality though, I'd rather be asked a few detailed questions and my approach scrutinized and then get help in actually addressing the issue rather than being told "its okay if you didnt lose weight, you are gaining muscle" because the rate of fat loss >>>>> rate of muscle gain.

I dont know the science or the mass densities of muscle vs fat, but in my experience, I've tried to gain weight (used to be a rugby player) by doing lots of weights, I used to squat up to 110kg for 8-10 reps (3 sets of) when I was 17-18 and deadlift 130kg for 6-10 reps (4 sets of) my bench press was always weak, no more than 55kg for 8 reps (4 sets of). I gained weight, very very slowly my apparent mass didnt change all that much visibly. Oh btw I was eating a hell of a lot of food to enable my strength and weight to gain in this stage. Gained something like half a stone in 6 months.

Ive also tried to lose weight, managing to drop 1-2lbs a week consistently while doing cycling and running with increased performance and also with some cycling and running specific resistance work included.

My conclusion based on MY experience, is that muscle gain due to activities such as running and cycling are far outweighed by the fat loss with a decent and controlled diet. Muscle gain shouldnt hinder weight loss, in these activities unless you are at a very low body fat percentage where you are teetering on your calorific requirement.

Of course everyone is different and it may not work out exactly the same for everyone, but the basic physiology is the same for everyone, its just the numbers that need altering.

Basically what I'm saying here, is if you are gaining weight whilst cycling or other cardiovascular activity and you arent at a low body fat percentage, then you should be looking at addressing either your diet, or your activity level rather than makng false assumptions.

Like Screenman, and like Ive said before I'm not a nutritionist, so this comes from my experience, and some from things I have read (but not in depth study)

To the OP, you need new scales most likely, thats pretty much the crux of it. lol

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Maybe building muscle just hold the fat in place better.

To my knowledge, which may be wrong:

Increased muscle mass, means faster burning of fat, since you have more muscle and hence need more fuel. So if you systematically undereat then it will take from the fat.

If you undereat by too much, and you dont have enough carbs to fuel, then some fat will be used, but some will also come from protein, i.e. your muscles will be broken down.

normskirus

Veteran
Hi

The magic formula of eat less & exercise is true for anyone trying to lose weight. But the most important one of the 2 is to eat less. My weight is stable just now at about 12 and half stones, from a peak of almost 14 stones. And despite running, cycling & swimming it refused to drop. So I cut out a lot of my snacks (I could easily eat 4 chocy bars in a day), reduced my portions and reduced my alcohol intake. Voila in a year I reached my present weight.

What really brought it home to me was that running at a moderate pace for half an hour only burns as much energy as a mars bar. A single bloody mars bar! And Mrs Normskirus has lost a shed load of weight over the past 6 months due to reduced calorie intake alone.

So make sure after a long ride or lots of exercise dont over indluge.

normskirus

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Hi

The magic formula of eat less & exercise is true for anyone trying to lose weight. But the most important one of the 2 is to eat less. My weight is stable just now at about 12 and half stones, from a peak of almost 14 stones. And despite running, cycling & swimming it refused to drop. So I cut out a lot of my snacks (I could easily eat 4 chocy bars in a day), reduced my portions and reduced my alcohol intake. Voila in a year I reached my present weight.

What really brought it home to me was that running at a moderate pace for half an hour only burns as much energy as a mars bar. A single bloody mars bar! And Mrs Normskirus has lost a shed load of weight over the past 6 months due to reduced calorie intake alone.

So make sure after a long ride or lots of exercise dont over indluge.

normskirus

One consideration, you dont just burn calories during the activity, but also in the few hours following, so you can also take that into account but its hard to estimate. I agree though everything is built on a solid nutritional base and activity alone wont do you justice.

BTW, Your display pic is ace, Im a ferret owner :tongue:

walker

To my knowledge, which may be wrong:

Increased muscle mass, means faster burning of fat, since you have more muscle and hence need more fuel. So if you systematically undereat then it will take from the fat.

If you undereat by too much, and you dont have enough carbs to fuel, then some fat will be used, but some will also come from protein, i.e. your muscles will be broken down.

which is correct.

Each pound of fat burns 2 calories where each pound of muscle burns 7 calories

Top Bottom