Xmas shopping...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yenrod

Bloody hell - was in town y.day well the w.end: Sat. was murder, weather was pretty bad too so it made it even worse THEN went again Sun & as much as the weather was ok (would've made good riding weather :biggrin:)...and I still aint finshed the shopping, 'am outstanding 2 presents..

TVC

I know what you mean, I went out to M&S and Sainsburys this morning to get the last of the Christmas food in thinking things would be fairly civilised. No chance, the place was rammed full (Fosse Park, Leicester). I'm not sure where this stuff about a recession comes from, there's no sign of it round here.

tyred

Legendary Member
Do your Christmas shopping on line then you can sit patiently in the comfort of your own home while the poor postman carries it home for you.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Yes, I agree, or use the local very small shops. Get Mr Tesco to deliver the groceries the week before Christmas. This week's shopping is vegetables, double cream, etc and a steak and mushroom yummy pie from the Bakers :biggrin: for Christmas Eve Lunch. :ohmy:

snakehips

M&S must have implemented an understaffing policy this year. I just walked in to the food store , saw the queues and walked out again. Waitrose was more acceptable.
Amazon did the business with a couple of deliveries this morning though

I4.jpg

louise

Done most of mine on line not only is it a lot easier its also a a lot cheaper even if you include postage.

Only shops I went was The Pier but couldn't get what I wanted as it gone bust! and The CLC in town great shop, great staff oh and Wollies before it went bust! I also got one item in Boots while I was collecting my script. The rest came from on line, just waiting for one more present to land. I did my big food shop on line as well last week there was only 4 slots left over a day period. Went to Sainsburies at half 7 on Saturday morning and it was heaving!

All I need now is veggies, for the guinea pigs Christmas dinner! :biggrin::laugh: I guess one advantage of working nights over Christmas is that someone else offers to cook Christmas dinner even if it does mean driving 150 miles for it!!

gavintc

Guru
Just been out for a couple of hours on the bike. I was amazed at the volume of traffic coming into Edinburgh. The queues and the traffic jam seemed much worse than normal. Like you I had put off my 'trip round the shops' till today, hoping that the volume of people would be less. I still have to get a couple of things for my wife.

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
The roads were empty for my commute this morning but I popped to a lbs toget some new pads at lunch time and the (Edinburgh) roads were chaos. Fortunately I got most of my presents a few weeks back and those that are left are teenagers/ students, they'll just be getting cash :biggrin:

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Aperitif said:
I have not even thought about it - too busy. ;)

Aperitif, if I had invited you to my house, and you arrived empty-handed, and explained that you were too busy, it would not bother me at all.
I would have invited you to see You, not the pressies you brought. You could send a thank you note or very small pressie in the New Year, if you wanted to tho'. :blush:

louise

Speicher said:
Aperitif, if I had invited you to my house, and you arrived empty-handed, and explained that you were too busy, it would not bother me at all.
I would have invited you to see You, not the pressies you brought. You could send a thank you note or very small pressie in the New Year, if you wanted to tho'. ;)

I agree there is too much focus on presents and who is getting the best present, my present to my friend is caring for her cat over Christmas. I am dreading working Christmas night not because it is Christmas but rather because I will hear from one of my carers how wonderful her presents were, how wonderful her Christmas dinner was, how amazing the present for her baby were. Yep I love to hear their tales of what they have got upto on Christmas day but, we will hear it all night. She's lovely but boasts and has to be the best out of all of us. She even boast about the bloody collar her cat wears!!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've avoided the shops as much as possible - skirted Stockport today - the traffic was crazy. My MIL want's me to pop out and get two additional pressies for my wife and SIL (from here) but I aborted when I saw the parking problems.... I'll get some champers from the supermarket......(my wife's suggestion)...

Just got to get a couple of crates of beer, and that's it...whoooo !!!

Anyway, treated myself to a Topfield PVR today....god it's so much easier programming - no faffing to find an empty tape......it's all programmed up until the 26th now !

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Excellent idea, champers or sparkling wine or similar. Does not matter if people get several bottles, it will keep won't it, for the New Year.

Also excellent buying yourself a present, then you are not worried someone choosing you what you would like. I'm a Potty Hoop* I know, but my cats have bought me some presents. Shame they cannot wrap them and have to ask me to wrap them, so it spoils the surprise. :biggrin::blush::biggrin:

* I know because someone on this forum told me.:blush::smile:

Aperitif

Meme bar
Speicher said:
I would have invited you to see You, not the pressies you brought. You could send a thank you note or very small pressie in the New Year, if you wanted to tho'. :blush:

Ah ok - I'll work on that...nice to have a bit of leeway :biggrin:

Top Bottom