Y’all be careful out there.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Saw this posted to a site the other day and thought I’d share.

The driver is all over the road and as a cyclist I don’t know what could be done to avoid being hit by such a driver. Mirror, camera, road position, nothing would have helped if a cyclist had been on the road.

Last edited:
:eek:
Jeepers cripes...

Globalti

Legendary Member
Judging from the numbers of beer cans lying along verges around here, drink driving is alive and well.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Judging from the numbers of beer cans lying along verges around here, drink driving is alive and well.
Try cycling the Snake Pass. Empty spirits bottles galore..... :eek:

Randy Butternubs

Über Member
Years ago a group of us were going to an event and the driver said he was just nipping over to the corner shop for 'supplies'. He comes back with a carrier bag full of beer and...yep...straight in the driver's door pocket. Well it's 8am so maybe they're for later...nope...he's already cracked one open. Stupidly I didn't say anything as we were relying on him for the day out and it was awkward as he was a friend of a friend.

The drive out wasn't too bad. The way back was a white-knuckle ride as he tore around blind corners on country roads but at least he wasn't weaving around and seemed fairly in control. Then he almost drove us all into the back of a traffic jam at speed. It was only the rest of us screaming that made him hit the brakes.

On the plus-side he apparently realised that we never wanted to be in a car with him again and has since stopped drink driving.

Globalti

Legendary Member
When my parents lived in the Dales my brother and I were staying and we accepted an invitation from a neighbouring farmer to go to the pub. He drank about 12 pints then drove us home at breakneck speed, luckily only 2 miles and he knew the road well but we decided that was too dangerous and managed to find excuses not to go for the rest of the week. I have no doubt at all that people are still driving home from the pub drunk in quiet areas of the country. As for dope, every cyclist will know how common it is to get that distinctive whiff as an economy hatch blasts past.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
When my parents lived in the Dales my brother and I were staying and we accepted an invitation from a neighbouring farmer to go to the pub. He drank about 12 pints then drove us home at breakneck speed, luckily only 2 miles and he knew the road well but we decided that was too dangerous and managed to find excuses not to go for the rest of the week. I have no doubt at all that people are still driving home from the pub drunk in quiet areas of the country. As for dope, every cyclist will know how common it is to get that distinctive whiff as an economy hatch blasts past.
Economy hatch? Come to London and it's Range Rovers and BMW's.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Certainly makes you think! That driver hadn't just had a drink, they were totally ratted!

My feelings are that at the moment there is effectively no policing of the roads so this kind of behaviour is on the increase..... SCARY.

*Ahem*

My usual reminder that cycling is really safe, and extreme examples of terrible driving shared on social media are a terrible way of assessing risk. And a very good way of scaring people off their bikes and into cars where they increased risk and pollution.

Top Bottom