Yes, another thread about panniers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Sorry for starting yet another thread about panniers, but as I am embarking on my first ever cycle tour (and starting big by going to Germany for three weeks alone) I just want to check something.

I've got a trike and have a very good pannier rack for it, currently shod with cheap Lidl panniers (which is all I've needed).
GEDC0058.jpg

They have a fluorescent orange waterproof overlay thingie as well. Capacity seems fairly good (can fit the contents of two shopping bags of the used-to-be-free variety in them).

I also have the Radical Sidepods for my trice which I can use as well as the panniers:
DSCF4622.jpg

My question is, will the cheap Lidl panniers be a problem? Should I invest in something better before I go? There's plenty of scope for deeper/wider panniers with my rack which is unused, plus I have the faff of the waterproof cover if it starts to rain.

I'm going to be staying in b&bs and hotels, etc, rather than camping, and I am fairly confident I've got room for all my worldly goods, but I'm wondering if I should invest in some proper waterproof pannier jobbies rather than relying on £15 from Lidl.

Ideally I'd borrow a set of Ortliebs, I suppose, but don't have anyone to borrow 'em from!

snorri

Legendary Member
I am sure the Lidl panniers will be fine for a three week tour. One advantage of starting touring with cheaper panniers is the fact that when you come to replace them you will know what YOU want from panniers eg side or back pockets, ease of opening, off bike carrying handles etc.. You have not spent loads of money on big name panniers which you may soon discover were not quite what you wanted.
Best wishes for your tour.:laugh:

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I think because I also have the sidepods (which can be reached from the seated position) it's not so important for me to have side pockets on my panniers. I think the important thing will be to keep my clothing and stuff dry but I would put everything in plastic bags inside the panniers anyway.

I'm not planning to take the panniers off the bike at all; the sidepods (which are instantly detachable and can be worn over the shoulder a bit like a rucksack) will have all my documents/money/important stuff and the panniers will just contain clothing and shoes. Or that's the current plan. I feel at the moment that I will be happy to leave the panniers (complete with clothes) on the bike while I leave it; who's going to want a set of my badly-washed sweaty cycle lycra.

Something I've realised recently is that I'm going to have real fun lifting the trike onto the train at the Hook of Holland with panniers and sidepods loaded. I shall have to try to find a Helpful Man to assist.

betty swollocks

large member
Do you actually need all those panniers?
I have toured quite extensively and one of my maxims is:-
'the amount of luggage you need expands with your carrying capacity'
Have great fun........sunshine and a tailwind!

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Auntie Helen said:
Or that's the current plan. I feel at the moment that I will be happy to leave the panniers (complete with clothes) on the bike while I leave it; who's going to want a set of my badly-washed sweaty cycle lycra.

Something I've realised recently is that I'm going to have real fun lifting the trike onto the train at the Hook of Holland with panniers and sidepods loaded. I shall have to try to find a Helpful Man to assist.

if you want male assitance it may be wise to improve the washing technique. If the guy passes out while loading your trike it may get damaged:biggrin:

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Well I'm wondering too if I need 'em all. Thing is, the Lidl ones aren't really removable (we had to use a heat gun to get 'em on the rack) whereas the sidepods are but the sidepods don't have enough volume for a lady's stuff for three weeks.

Fortunately the weight doesn't affect the balance of the trike but I think I may have a trial run packing everything I think I'll take and see how it feels.

My route is down the Rhine and Moselle rivers so almost completely flat which is good.

Top Bottom