Yes, I made a mistake but there was no need for that!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

outlash

also available in orange
FO? Care to elaborate?

I fail to see how anything I've posted relates to how many miles I do and besides, that's irrelevant to

A) having road sense

B) riding safely

and

C) your attitude, which stinks. As I've already said, if you think cycling is about survival get the bus. Or MTFU.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
FO? Care to elaborate?

I fail to see how anything I've posted relates to how many miles I do and besides, that's irrelevant to

A) having road sense

B) riding safely

and

C) your attitude, which stinks. As I've already said, if you think cycling is about survival get the bus. Or MTFU.
It isnt a matter of survival. I did 60 miles today and only had one guy overtake just before a set of lights whilst texting, and another van squeeze past me through a pinch point. The other 59.9 miles had nothing in it. I enjoyed the countryside and had a brilliant ride.

Cycling is all about enjoyment, and some motorists occasionally spoil it, but it isnt a matter of survival.

outlash

also available in orange
It isnt a matter of survival. I did 60 miles today and only had one guy overtake just before a set of lights whilst texting, and another van squeeze past me through a pinch point. The other 59.9 miles had nothing in it. I enjoyed the countryside and had a brilliant ride.

Cycling is all about enjoyment, and some motorists occasionally spoil it, but it isnt a matter of survival.

Good for you, glad you enjoyed it :smile:.

I'm slightly playing devils' advocate here and without knowing the exact details, when the van passed you at the pinch point, did you look back to see if there was anything behind you? Perhaps you could have eased off a touch to let him charge through without giving you a squeaky bum moment? I'm not at all saying that you could have done better because I wasn't there, merely suggesting that if you replayed it back through your mind perhaps you could have anticipated what could have happened 25-30 metres before and acted accordingly.

Tony.

vickster

Legendary Member
How do people cycle for 60 miles and remember exactly what's happened!? Maybe the roads are just far quieter :wacko:

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I'm slightly playing devils' advocate here and without knowing the exact details, when the van passed you at the pinch point, did you look back to see if there was anything behind you? Perhaps you could have eased off a touch to let him charge through without giving you a squeaky bum moment? I'm not at all saying that you could have done better because I wasn't there, merely suggesting that if you replayed it back through your mind perhaps you could have anticipated what could have happened 25-30 metres before and acted accordingly.

Tony.
The pinch point is here: https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=e...IAQkqgMW89BmNZR29doEqg&cbp=12,245.68,,0,19.01
I had just turned right and had a car infront of me so took primary. Where the woman is crossing, the pinch point now extends to the junction after the bus stop. It gets quite narrow at the end and there isnt room for me to be in secondary.
Even so, the guy forced his way past. I could see him looking on his nearside at the pinch point obviously to see how close he was to it. He wasnt even looking at me.
The overtake will be in my months compilation.

outlash

also available in orange
As I said I wasn't there so I can't say. The point I'm trying to make is that if it was bad enough for you to make comment, there may have been an opportunity for you to avoid a potential accident.

Tony.

Not being funny Matthew_T but I ride and drive the same roads as you daily. You appear to have had more incidents in the last week than I've had in the last 20 years.

I've also viewed a few of your videos again and even up to the point of last week you are still riding in what could be perceived to be inconsiderate/dangerous, so until evidence surfaces that paints things in a different light I'd have to think that you just go out looking for trouble or simply ride in a way that causes it, for example the reason this thread was started...

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Mat, when you start to learn to drive a car, I think you will see things differently as your vision from inside a car is totally different from one sitting on a bike.
I know that particular roudabout very well and it can be very busy at times and always dangerous as there are 5 roads coming up to it, one of them being blind as you can't see very far on your right as you approach.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Mat, when you start to learn to drive a car, I think you will see things differently as your vision from inside a car is totally different from one sitting on a bike.
I know that particular roudabout very well and it can be very busy at times and always dangerous as there are 5 roads coming up to it, one of them being blind as you can't see very far on your right as you approach.
I know it gets very busy. I am going to plan a route to avoid it now.

Ron-da-Valli

It's a bleedin' miracle!
The pinch point is here: https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=e...IAQkqgMW89BmNZR29doEqg&cbp=12,245.68,,0,19.01
I had just turned right and had a car infront of me so took primary. Where the woman is crossing, the pinch point now extends to the junction after the bus stop. It gets quite narrow at the end and there isnt room for me to be in secondary.
Even so, the guy forced his way past. I could see him looking on his nearside at the pinch point obviously to see how close he was to it. He wasnt even looking at me.
The overtake will be in my months compilation.
That's by Asda if I'm not mistaken. That right filter going into Asda seems to attract "red light jumpers" by the bucket load. It never ceases to amaze ( and infuriate) me that red means " go on then just another six cars". They form such a queue that they stop the traffic coming from the opposite direction. I see that happen EVERY time I'm there without fail.
Incidentally there is quite often a police van speed trap on the right just the other side of those lights, but they never check the lights behind which is the real problem.

Top Bottom