Yes, I made a mistake but there was no need for that!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
Everyone who uses the roads on a regular basis, whether on foot, on a bike, in a car, a lorry, a bus, a steam roller or on a Space Hopper occasional make mistakes.

We all need to be wary, reading the road and willing to make allowances for other peoples mistakes and let it go and hope that someone else will do the same for us when we make a mistake. It is to no-one's advantage to get worked up over a minor mis-understanding and there is no point in being "right" if you end up in hospital.

There is a minority of people on the road who are dangerous lunatics but the vast majority are reasonable people trying to go about their daily business with minimum hassle, but they occasional make mistakes, myself included.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Thing is, if drivers started using their indicators for a change at roundabouts when turning left, this sort of thing wouldn't happen. The number of times I've been almost left hooked at roundabouts by idiots who think signalling is an optional extra is frightening. Motons seem to think we're telepathic for some reason.

Crankarm

Guru
Sigh, I don't believe you lot. Matthew's thread title sums it up perfectly. He clearly admits his error, so everyone getting on their high saddles with advice after the fact is a bit tiresome. But what's with all the victim blaming? Making a positioning error in traffic is something we all do from time to time on bikes or in cars, but it does not, repeat not, make it OK for other drivers to then behave dangerously.
Now I know this forum divides sharply between those who like to 'have a word' and those who do not, but that's another debate altogether. Given that Matthew is one of the former, as I see it he is entirely reasonable in questioning the driver's subsequent behaviour - especially as he admitted fault for his own error.
Victim blaming appears to be a big crime on this forum . . . unless the victim is Matt.:smile:

The world is big rough of old place. There is enough trouble out there without going looking for it. If you actively seek confrontation then you will eventually find some one who will give you a fight. We only seek to educate him so that he makes it into a ripe old age. Cycling in the UK is a matter of survival.

I would suggest the construcive criticism that Matthew_T receives on here is the least of his worries. He should be taking note and adjusting his cycling accordingly when out on the roads. When he is on his own there won't be any one say to "Whoa, hold on there Matthew! Is it really such a good idea to be doing that? Let it go."

How many miles have you ridden, where and how often?

cd365

Guru
It shouldn't take having a confrontation with a driver to work out if you were in the right (or as in this case) the wrong. As soon as the incident occurs you should think "did I do everything right?". A car is not signalling left at a roundabout, so you filter past him on the outside and then are surprised when he doesn't go left. In your shoes my first thought would have been "maybe I shouldn't have filtered to the right because I did not know what he was doing, sitting behind him for a couple of seconds would have been my safest option" and then let the rest drop, thus avoiding any confrontation.

Not quite, I signalled and the car let me back in. And that doesnt really have anything to do with this incident.

Having just seen one of your YouTube videos were a black van overtakes you (safely) and you then get a tow from it so overtake it (and by your own admission break the speed limit) so you can try and set a speed camera off, can I ask if it cycling that you enjoy? Or is cycling a means to just go about winding people up? As said above, you're on thin ice and playing a dangerous game. I suspect you are on your way to becoming a statistic very soon.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
The problem with these threads is Matthew does not recognise his own mistakes, and everyone gets frustrated trying to help him understand that multiple errors and a little misjudgement are not the same thing.
I did recognise my mistake though.

It was a combination of misjudging what the car was doing and the mistake of overtaking it. I didnt start this thread to get criticism of my action, I thought my admission of fault had sorted that. The whole point is to point out that noone is perfect and a little lenience on both ends wouldnt go a miss.

aces_up1504

I did recognise my mistake though.

It was a combination of misjudging what the car was doing and the mistake of overtaking it. I didnt start this thread to get criticism of my action, I thought my admission of fault had sorted that. The whole point is to point out that noone is perfect and a little lenience on both ends wouldnt go a miss.

From my small time on this forum, lenience only works one way with you.

You made the mistake but still felt the need to have the conversation about a close pass caused by your mistake. lenience on your part seems to be missing.

Crankarm

Guru
That's a ridiculous attitude to have. The simple fact is that so many issues on the road needn't happen because one or more of the protagonists doesn't have road sense. Anticipation is key no matter what vehicle you're using.

Tony.

Yeah right. How few miles do you ride or have you ridden?

I'm thinking you might be a keyboard cyclist :laugh:?

Kins

Über Member
Thing is, if drivers started using their indicators for a change at roundabouts when turning left, this sort of thing wouldn't happen. The number of times I've been almost left hooked at roundabouts by idiots who think signalling is an optional extra is frightening. Motons seem to think we're telepathic for some reason.

You do have to tick a box in Wales to get indicators, optional extra and must be quite expensive seeing as so many cars don't have them.

outlash

also available in orange
Yeah right. How few miles do you ride or have you ridden?

I'm thinking you might be a keyboard cyclist :laugh:?

Oh I'm sorry, I was unaware we were having a dick waving competition...
Tell you what, why don't you post something positive on here for a change instead of your constant trolling and moaning. If you think that cycling is 'survival', why don't you take the bus on the guided busway instead of riding/swimming it (the other alternative is to ride on actual roads, careful though ;) ). Of course you won't though, because you like to keep that chip on your shoulder don't you?

The only thing round here that's 'keyboard' is your keyboard warrior BS. Do us all a favour and jog on.

Tony.

Crankarm

Guru
Oh I'm sorry, I was unaware we were having a dick waving competition...
Tell you what, why don't you post something positive on here for a change instead of your constant trolling and moaning. If you think that cycling is 'survival', why don't you take the bus on the guided busway instead of riding/swimming it (the other alternative is to ride on actual roads, careful though ;) ). Of course you won't though, because you like to keep that chip on your shoulder don't you?

The only thing round here that's 'keyboard' is your keyboard warrior BS. Do us all a favour and jog on.

Tony.

FO. From your response you obviously ride very little and are indeed a keyboard cyclist.

Top Bottom