Yes, it's yet another Headset Bearings Replacement post...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

migrantwing

Veteran
Quite simply, can you replace retainer cage and balls with angular contact bearings or not? Is it a straight swap? If a straight swap is not the case, (which I'm believing is not possible) can I use larger or smaller diameter balls compared to what is already in the headset and will it make the headset movement smoother/better etc?

TIA

Last edited:
No, you can only use loose or retained ball bearings, the shape of the cup won't let you use anything else. Make sure you get the right sized bearings. If the movement is not smooth after new ball bearings, inspect the cup surface carefully. I use moly grease as this doesn't get easily washed away

OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
No, you can only use loose or retained ball bearings, the shape of the cup won't let you use anything else. Make sure you get the right sized bearings. If the movement is not smooth after new ball bearings, inspect the cup surface carefully. I use moly grease as this doesn't get easily washed away

Nice one, @tincaman! I had assumed that it wouldn't work, but thought I'd ask as I wasn't 100% certain.

I'll get the vernier calipers out later and have a look at the diameter of the balls. I may just get a new headset as the Ritchey one I have is not the best.

While we are on the subject of headsets et al, can anyone tell me the purpose of the stack of spacers on top of the stem? As far as i can see, all they are likely to do is to snag the nadgers as you are making your way over the bars in an unplanned stop. (At least, I am not planning one like that.) Is there any reason why they should not be removed?

LetMeEatCake

tell me the purpose of the stack of spacers on top of the stem
They're left on to give you the option of raising the bar height (by putting the spacers beneath the stem) - but if you're happy with the bars at their current height then you're right - they're after your nadgers and you can happily get rid. You may need to chop a bit off the top of your steerer tube though to get the top cap to snugify nicely.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
They also allow you to position your expanding bung (if you have one) at the right height. Some manufactures, Trek included want you to keep at least 5mm on top.

Top Bottom