Yes, M'Lord

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
Because after three years of very hard study plus huge amounts of blood, sweat and tears it's nice to get some recognition.
So do you think that everybody that works hard for three years should be entitled by everybody else to be called by a special title?
Why not, if that's their thing? If you don't want to be called Doctor then no one's forcing you to study for a Doctorate, you don't have to join in. We'll just carry on calling you 'peasant'.
Its not what the people themselves want, its the fact that everybody else is forced to use these silly titles when referring to the people that hold them.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
Anyway, I'm thinking Earl would be good. Baron is a bit common, Duke is a bit poncey, but Earl is a happy middle ground, your grace.

Go for an Earl, then get an OBE. Bingo! You're an earlobe. ^_^

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
In what way is force used to make people comply? If you don't want to call a Doctor 'Doctor', or Lord Sugar 'Lord Sugar', then simply don't. Its a convention, nothing more, and no one gets Polonium tea for not following these rules.

U

User32269

Anyway, I'm thinking Earl would be good. Baron is a bit common, Duke is a bit poncey, but Earl is a happy middle ground, your grace.
You can get an app nowadays. Perfect.
1200x630bf.jpg

r04DiE

In what way is force used to make people comply? If you don't want to call a Doctor 'Doctor', or Lord Sugar 'Lord Sugar', then simply don't. Its a convention, nothing more, and no one gets Polonium tea for not following these rules.
Yeah, that's very adequately demonstrated by all 'The Apprentice' candidates referring to him as 'Alan' in the board room, Do me a favour...

stephec

Legendary Member
So do you think that everybody that works hard for three years should be entitled by everybody else to be called by a special title?Its not what the people themselves want, its the fact that everybody else is forced to use these silly titles when referring to the people that hold them.
In the case of a doctor they've worked hard to reach a certain standard, and the title comes with it.

Shall we do away with A levels because those without them might get a bit jealous?

Who's forced to use the titles, what happens when you call Prince Charles 'Charlie,' do special branch kick your door down at two in the morning?

r04DiE

In the case of a doctor they've worked hard to reach a certain standard, and the title comes with it.
I know that. Why do you think that I don't know that?
Shall we do away with A levels because those without them might get a bit jealous?
I wasn't aware you got a special title after taking your A Levels, what is it?
Who's forced to use the titles, what happens when you call Prince Charles 'Charlie,' do special branch kick your door down at two in the morning?
I don't know, tell me.

stephec

Legendary Member
I know that. Why do you think that I don't know that?I wasn't aware you got a special title after taking your A Levels, what is it?I don't know, tell me.
Why would you get a title after an A level you haven't reached a high enough academic level?

You were the one saying that people were forced to use the titles, so I thought you'd know?

r04DiE

Because as a society we should value people who do that and reach a particular academic standard. Just as we give people letters after their name for other academic achievements......those are my views by the way. They may not be yours and if they are not, I'm not going to try and convince you.
I'm sorry - I tend just to value 'people'. I don't value people that have reached a particular academic standard any higher than I do anybody else. I'd ban letters after names, too.

r04DiE

Why would you get a title after an A level you haven't reached a high enough academic level?
Sorry, we were talking about titles and you mentioned A Levels. How are A Levels relevant to titles then?
You were the one saying that people were forced to use the titles, so I thought you'd know?
I was asking what happens if you refer to Charlie as, er, Charlie. You seem to know the deal:

r04DiE

The people who take part in The Apprentice do so of something approaching free will.
Its nothing more than tacit agreement and it has very little to do with free will.

EDIT: Call Sugar "Lord Sugar", not take part in The Apprentice.

Top Bottom