Yes, M'Lord

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Calm down, I'm exploring something - sorry if its ruined your light hearted josh but some things spring from others, that's not my fault. I'm quite happy to stop if the mods say so but it is quite interesting and nobody has really come up with an explanation of what the point of any of these titles are, save for academic willy waving.

Thing is @r04DiE ,does it really matter ?
I know I like to be addressed as Doctor Jeff Johnson.

Even though I'm not a Doctor.

And my names not Jeff Johnson.

Because after three years of very hard study plus huge amounts of blood, sweat and tears it's nice to get some recognition.
Plenty of us plebs have to work just as hard but we get no recognition.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I have met a few Lords over the years, Lord Normanton signed over a cheque to me with 'Normanton' which I thought was pretty cool.

Lord Archer, twice, he was a bit of a nob.

My fave though was a labour peer who I met at an awards dinner Lord Peter, who got outrageously drunk, made awful sexist remarks, flirted outrageously with the Fragrant MrsP. On the way down the stairs of the banquet he was rude to a young woman, she called him a dirty old prat he responded with 'LORD dirty old prat' to you. Made me laugh.

Perhaps Roadie could have some letters after his name? I wonder what they would be?

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Been looking at prices for these 'titles'. It seems they range from £20 at the lower end of the market, to £2500 or more for very post ones which come with a few square inches of actual land to semi-legitimise the while thing.

Seems all a bit hokum to me so I'll stick to the cheaper offerings. Then i'll see if being an Earl gets me treated with any extra deference, as tales abound of people being upgraded to first class on flights, to having tables suddenly appear at fully booked restaurants etc.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Because after three years of very hard study plus huge amounts of blood, sweat and tears it's nice to get some recognition.

I think the key word there is some. I think the sad reality is that a lot of people don't care, which is probably where despite having some noble but slightly old fashioned views your caring about it comes from. My old landlord used to joke endlessly at social gatherings and parties about his DPhil that no one outside academia cared except teachers and you could tell them a mile away at a party as they'd worship the ground he walked on. He only ever used the title in those circumstances.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Yes, I'm sure he does ... shall we get back to the off-topic topic of a frivolous title. ;)

I have thought about this and reckon Drago should become an Earl. I think given the Anglo Saxon origins and the area of the country he lives in this is appropriate. I think some of the others just sound too..

I don't know whether his household has any pets, but I think bestowing titles on pets is even better.

Top Bottom