yet another halfrauds problematic bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
yes i did, by four hours i meant four hours in total (almost a year of owning) not in one go. When all the tools will ship (i need 1 more tool) ill remove the cassette and fit the 8 speed one, if it will work out im gonna leave it on, if not im gonna use that to clean old one properly and fit it back, then im going to try adjusting the rear deralieur. I know it would be much simplier to just go to LBS with it but i want to use that bike to learn the mechanics, if not now i will never learn them properly.

short question about cleaning the chain and dirty cassette, do i need chain degreaser to clean it or can i use the ones for car engines?

for example something like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Astonish-...929?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item58c090cfe9
  • The ghost click will never be removed.
  • It is an 8 speed shifter.
  • It shifts 8 times (well, 7)
  • If you fit an 8 speed cassette, the ghost click will no longer be a ghost click, it will be a proper gearshift.

that way you could leave some of your's rag material around the chain and make it work worse, id rather do the proper degreaser bath than rag wiping :smile:
  • You really know how to push @mickle 's buttons don't you... just don't mention WD40.

OP
OP
Torvi

Torvi

mr poopmechanic
  • The ghost click will never be removed.
  • It is an 8 speed shifter.
  • It shifts 8 times (well, 7)
  • If you fit an 8 speed cassette, the ghost click will no longer be a ghost click, it will be a proper gearshift.

• You really know how to push @mickle 's buttons don't you... just don't mention WD40.
WD40? you mean cure to everything right? :biggrin:

OP
OP
Torvi

Torvi

mr poopmechanic
wtf did just happend? so ive farked up my rear wheel somehow so i couldnt turn it, i took it to lbs and they fixed it, now checked the gears index and out of 7 gears now i have only six, dafuq?

gbb

Legendary Member
TBF, I could strip hubs and frwewheels at 12 years old, but never ever played with derailleurs till I was in my 40s...and struggled. Then you realise, you have to be methodical, start right back at the beginning, chain off, set the RD limits, make sure cable is routed correctly, make sure the shifter is set correctly before you re-attach the cable, wheel correctly aligned etc etc etc.
Youtube can be your friend, follow it to the letter, no shortcuts.

screenman

Legendary Member
Gibb, you forgot the starting point which is very important. The shops love you to miss it out as they make money from it.

Reactions: gbb

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I'm confused
hi guys, during ~yet another maintenance~ i found out the reason my rear derailleur acts oddly, long story short the shop i bought the bike from supplied the bike with 7 speed on the rear, after some gimmicking i found out that this is sole reason of the troubles, the shifter is 8 speeder while i have 7 on bicycle.................

When asked about shifter clicks
sorry ive just re checked it and it has 6 not 8, my brain kinda lags today :scratch:

So as @Dirk Thrust said, it's a 7 speed as you are already in one gear.

Assuming the information provided by the OP about the number of gears and shifter clicks is correct, perhaps I am missing something here, buI don't see what fitting a 8 speed cassette will achieve, . If there is a "ghost click", then surely either the mech is jumping a gear, leading the OP to think there is another gear, when in fact one has been skipped, or top gear isn't being engaged because of the adjustment screws, but there is a still one click remaining in the shifter.

Cubist

Still wavin'
I'm confused

When asked about shifter clicks

So as @Dirk Thrust said, it's a 7 speed as you are already in one gear.

Assuming the information provided by the OP about the number of gears and shifter clicks is correct, perhaps I am missing something here, buI don't see what fitting a 8 speed cassette will achieve, . If there is a "ghost click", then surely either the mech is jumping a gear, leading the OP to think there is another gear, when in fact one has been skipped, or top gear isn't being engaged because of the adjustment screws, but there is a still one click remaining in the shifter.
Good grief.

The Carrrera TDF is fitted with a 7 speed cassette. However, it has an 8 speed indexed shifter. This isn't usually a problem because it will shift from cog 1 to 7 with one click of the shifter per cog. It's a bit of a compromise however, because that means there will be a spare or ghost click somewhere in the rear mech's journey from low to high. It isn't really a problem unless it bothers the rider.

There are two choices. :
1. Learn to live with the extra click or
2. Fit an 8 speed cassette and use up the spare click.

The OP has decided however that he wants to dial out the spare click, which you'll notice is not an option listed above. As a result he has buggered with it, then asked the bike shop to bugger with it and between them they appear to have buggered it up completely.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Ah! I hadn't appreciated it had an 8 speed shifter. I was going purely off the number of reported clicks and available gears.
Still, a couple more weekends with the present gear loss rate and the bike willl be a single speed at the rear, so the number of clicks will be irrelevant. ^_^

Colnago Master

If you'd bought a bike from your LBS you could have popped back with it and they would have either fixed an actual problem, or explained why it wasn't actually a problem in the first place.
Also, pi$$ing around with your gear change then asking someone else to fix it when you're probably not sure what you've done is not easy. Would you do the same with a car?

OP
OP
Torvi

Torvi

mr poopmechanic
it wasnt the gears i fkd :smile: i put back the rear axle bad way somehow and it caused the tyre to lock on the frame, i asked them to fix only that, after i took the bike out from lbs i discovered im missing one gear, at home i could see that the tension screw is fixed to the limit, tomorrow morning im gonna fix the gears myself and be sure to mention to not to mess with gears ever again.

No, not gonna give bike back to lbs, im using it everyday so ill just do it myself

10959632_10152503373925964_7154221644269659493_n.jpg

Top Bottom