yet another halfrauds problematic bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Torvi

mr poopmechanic
hi guys, during ~yet another maintenance~ i found out the reason my rear derailleur acts oddly, long story short the shop i bought the bike from supplied the bike with 7 speed on the rear, after some gimmicking i found out that this is sole reason of the troubles, the shifter is 8 speeder while i have 7 on bicycle!

Now my question is, will i have to swap whole wheel to be able to attach 8speed cassette or can i just buy casette alone and see if it fits in? Bicycle is halfrauds carrera from last year edition.

Another question, if i change my cassette do i also need to resize the chain? my current cassette is 12-28t and im thinking about getting 12-25t one.

Last edited:

Cubist

Still wavin'
A 7 speed cassette is compatible with the 8-9-10 freehub, with an appropriate spacer. An 8 speed shifter will work a mech with a 7 speed cassette, but there'll be a spare click left over. So, if you want to fit an 8 speed cassette go ahead. You'll have to remove the 4.5 mm spacer. Your chain should be fine, unless it's already on the slack side.

I can't quite get the gist of your title though. Did you buy the bike new from Halfords?

OP
OP
Torvi

Torvi

mr poopmechanic
A 7 speed cassette is compatible with the 8-9-10 freehub, with an appropriate spacer. An 8 speed shifter will work a mech with a 7 speed cassette, but there'll be a spare click left over. So, if you want to fit an 8 speed cassette go ahead. You'll have to remove the 4.5 mm spacer. Your chain should be fine, unless it's already on the slack side.

I can't quite get the gist of your title though. Did you buy the bike new from Halfords?
yeah

OP
OP
Torvi

Torvi

mr poopmechanic
Saying "halfrauds" is about as uncool as those people who still say "Microsoft windoze"
well but it's pretty close, instead of equiping the bikes properly they just dashing out random stuff, look at the bike i bought, if i had knowledge that i have now i wouldnt buy it again, front shifter can do three ticks but i got 2 gears only, rear can do 8 but i have 7 + lame ass spacer, two days ago one of my pulleys fell off the bike while i was casually going back to home.

im doing proper maintenance every month and clean it on weekly basis but i keep on finding stuff that could be done better and wiser. if that is not a reason to call them so, i dont know what is.

Forgot to add that the stock tires i had on bike went to the bin after first two weeks of use, the rubber wore off this fast i had visible stitching in one spot on the rear wheel

U

User6179

rear can do 8 but i have 7

If your rear shifter has 8 clicks then it will be 9 speed not 8 speed , on the biggest cog you click once into 2nd , twice into third , etc until click 8 is into ninth .

OP
OP
Torvi

Torvi

mr poopmechanic
If your rear shifter has 8 clicks then it will be 9 speed not 8 speed , on the biggest cog you click once into 2nd , twice into third , etc until click 8 is into ninth .
sorry ive just re checked it and it has 6 not 8, my brain kinda lags today :scratch:

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
sorry ive just re checked it and it has 6 not 8, my brain kinda lags today :scratch:
So it's a 7 speed then?
Why do you want to buy an 8 speed cassette?
There's some confusion here.:wacko:

Cubist

Still wavin'
well but it's pretty close, instead of equiping the bikes properly they just dashing out random stuff, look at the bike i bought, if i had knowledge that i have now i wouldnt buy it again, front shifter can do three ticks but i got 2 gears only, rear can do 8 but i have 7 + lame ass spacer, two days ago one of my pulleys fell off the bike while i was casually going back to home.

im doing proper maintenance every month and clean it on weekly basis but i keep on finding stuff that could be done better and wiser. if that is not a reason to call them so, i dont know what is.

Forgot to add that the stock tires i had on bike went to the bin after first two weeks of use, the rubber wore off this fast i had visible stitching in one spot on the rear wheel

I take it'd something like tdf which is clearly marketed as a 14 speed. What did you think you had bought?

As I said above, 8 speed shifters work perfectly well with 7 speed cassettes, as long as you take the ghost click into account. Same for the front... Just dial out the third shift using the cable tension and limit screws. Add an 8 speed cassette for a cheap upgrade.

As for tyres, cheap bike in cheap tyres shock-horror.

Reactions: gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
I take it'd something like tdf which is clearly marketed as a 14 speed. What did you think you had bought?

As I said above, 8 speed shifters work perfectly well with 7 speed cassettes, as long as you take the ghost click into account. Same for the front... Just dial out the third shift using the cable tension and limit screws. Add an 8 speed cassette for a cheap upgrade.

As for tyres, cheap bike in cheap tyres shock-horror.
100% correct. My Ezyfire/Rapidfire (i can't remember which) shifters are 8 speed, my geartrain is 7 speed . The spacing is the same on the cassette. So long as your limits are set correctly on the RD, it shouldnt be a problem at all.

OP
OP
Torvi

Torvi

mr poopmechanic
so ive purcharsed that cassete and 2 17" wrenches which made me spent total of 28 quids, not too much :smile: later on next weeks i will probably try to upgrade other pieces of bike, which will be ditching out stock fork and getting some carbon one and also better gear shifters and give the wheels for truing service as i can clearly see they need some.

As I said above, 8 speed shifters work perfectly well with 7 speed cassettes, as long as you take the ghost click into account. Same for the front... Just dial out the third shift using the cable tension and limit screws. Add an 8 speed cassette for a cheap upgrade..

sure they do but the ghost click is pretty damn annoying and it creates a big drop which i want to get rid of

Top Bottom