yet another halfrauds problematic bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Seems to me you have no problem with the actual drivetain compatability, everything should work together, the Carrera is a popular bike I think.
Whats wrong from the sound of it is a setup issue, somethings not right, RD limit screws, cable tension, cable routing. Its back to basics IMO, even down to simple stuff like is the rear wheel sitting correctly...

OP
OP
Torvi

Torvi

mr poopmechanic
Seems to me you have no problem with the actual drivetain compatability, everything should work together, the Carrera is a popular bike I think.
Whats wrong from the sound of it is a setup issue, somethings not right, RD limit screws, cable tension, cable routing. Its back to basics IMO, even down to simple stuff like is the rear wheel sitting correctly...
i put like... 4 hours into playing with cables and screws and i had this ghost jump ever since i got the bicycle. Im gonna try to fit 8speeder there, we will see if it will work.

Tojo

Über Member
If you have got 8spd shifters just get yourself an 8spd cassette your freehub will be compatible...7,8 and 9 chains are the same pitch, but are you sure its an 8 shifter as it will only index 7 as you are already on number one. check the indexing clicks, its always one below the number of cogs on the cassette....:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Torvi

Torvi

mr poopmechanic
It doesn't take 'like four hours' to adjust a rear mech. Which tells me that you don't actually know what you're doing. And should probably stop farking about with it now and take it to a professional.
i was simply trying to get rid of ghost tick but whichever way i do it it dosent dissapear thus imma try to fit 8speeder there so maybe then itll be gone :smile:

gavintc

Guru
It doesn't take 'like four hours' to adjust a rear mech. Which tells me that you don't actually know what you're doing. And should probably stop farking about with it now and take it to a professional.
I completely agree. I suspect you may have made the situation worse.

OP
OP
Torvi

Torvi

mr poopmechanic
Did you read my post?
yes i did, by four hours i meant four hours in total (almost a year of owning) not in one go. When all the tools will ship (i need 1 more tool) ill remove the cassette and fit the 8 speed one, if it will work out im gonna leave it on, if not im gonna use that to clean old one properly and fit it back, then im going to try adjusting the rear deralieur. I know it would be much simplier to just go to LBS with it but i want to use that bike to learn the mechanics, if not now i will never learn them properly.

short question about cleaning the chain and dirty cassette, do i need chain degreaser to clean it or can i use the ones for car engines?

for example something like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Astonish-...929?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item58c090cfe9

Last edited:

Tojo

Über Member
short question about cleaning the chain and dirty cassette, do i need chain degreaser to clean it or can i use the ones for car engines?

I just use Elbow Grease form the local Poundland, yellow stuff, comes in a squirty bottle and you guessed it......It's a £1....:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Torvi

Torvi

mr poopmechanic
okay after further fine tuning the rear im coming to resolution that there is no way to get rid of this ghost tick, there is a way to move it around but no luck finding proper tune to completely remove it :/ i really think there should be 8 speed cassette instead of 7 :/

winjim

Smash the cistern
The number of clicks is an intrinsic property of the shifter; no amount of faffing with the rear mech will get rid of it.

And FWIW, I never use degreaser, just a wipe with a rag.

OP
OP
Torvi

Torvi

mr poopmechanic
The number of clicks is an intrinsic property of the shifter; no amount of faffing with the rear mech will get rid of it.

And FWIW, I never use degreaser, just a wipe with a rag.
that way you could leave some of your's rag material around the chain and make it work worse, id rather do the proper degreaser bath than rag wiping :smile:

Top Bottom