yet another halfrauds problematic bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sandra6

Veteran
If you'd bought a bike from your LBS you could have popped back with it and they would have either fixed an actual problem, or explained why it wasn't actually a problem in the first place.
Also, pi$$ing around with your gear change then asking someone else to fix it when you're probably not sure what you've done is not easy. Would you do the same with a car?
To be fair he could've taken it back to Halfords.
I'm not sure why they,or the bike , are being blamed. Seems to me the problem is in the saddle.

OP
OP
Torvi

Torvi

mr poopmechanic
To be fair he could've taken it back to Halfords.
I'm not sure why they,or the bike , are being blamed. Seems to me the problem is in the saddle.
LBS was closer than halfords, it was sunday so halfords closed, if id put it to halfords it would take them few days to do it.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.

LBS was closer than halfords, it was sunday so halfords closed, if id put it to halfords it would take them few days to do it.
?

Store Address:

Halfords Wellingborough
Victoria Retail Park, London Road
Wellingborough
Northamptonshire
NN8 2EF

Day
Opens Closes
Monday 09:00 20:00
Tuesday 09:00 20:00
Wednesday 09:00 20:00
Thursday 09:00 20:00
Friday 09:00 20:00
Saturday 09:00 18:00
Sunday 10:00 17:00

Sandra6

Veteran
Very unusual for a lbs to be open and Halfords not.
If you have a problem with a thing it just seems to me the most logical course of action is to return it whence it came.
If you don't give someone the opportunity to remedy a problem you can't blame them for the resulting growth of said problem.

OP
OP
Torvi

Torvi

mr poopmechanic
Very unusual for a lbs to be open and Halfords not.
If you have a problem with a thing it just seems to me the most logical course of action is to return it whence it came.
If you don't give someone the opportunity to remedy a problem you can't blame them for the resulting growth of said problem.
it's not a growing problem, it was there ever since i got a bike, recently i started to take a deeper insight into bike's mechanics and thus i discovered that "it shouldnt work like this" that's all.

sgl5gjr

I get a lot of customers...who buy a Store bike....you know the supermarket or car accessory ones..... and they get them home and within days.... it doesn't work as they thought it would and have a play....
Many I find have done the You Tube route and messed up totally, which to be fair isn't their fault as many of the You Tube video's need an element of mechanical knowledge....
Clearly we find that some of these bikes are only just "fit for purpose" and will work but not always as reliably as many owners would like....
All I will say is..... the Oranged Logo'd Car Accessory Shop & our LBS.... quote repair/service costs way too high so as not to get the business.....then they cry out on Facebook etc. to see if they can find a Mechanic to sort out their bikes......so they contact me....
I take the business, they get a working bike, they also get to know what the shortcomings are of the bike and I then get future custom from them and others..... Today I have had a full day..... 8 am start to a 7:30 pm finish..... I have done 5 home calls and 3 workshop jobs.... 4 were Store bikes, the rest were more expensive bikes, and clearly I am picking up the work the others don't want...... And Torvi... you are not alone and I'm across the border in Cambridgeshire if you really need help buddy..

gbb

Legendary Member
it's not a growing problem, it was there ever since i got a bike, recently i started to take a deeper insight into bike's mechanics and thus i discovered that "it shouldnt work like this" that's all.
Just to clarify Torvi..is the 'ghost click' at the end of the shifting range ? ie the last click available.

OP
OP
Torvi

Torvi

mr poopmechanic
Just to clarify Torvi..is the 'ghost click' at the end of the shifting range ? ie the last click available.
no, it travels at random matter. well i mean whenever i do the "first shift of the ride out" it's always ghost one, no matter if i down or upshift

OP
OP
Torvi

Torvi

mr poopmechanic
I get a lot of customers...who buy a Store bike....you know the supermarket or car accessory ones..... and they get them home and within days.... it doesn't work as they thought it would and have a play....
Many I find have done the You Tube route and messed up totally, which to be fair isn't their fault as many of the You Tube video's need an element of mechanical knowledge....
Clearly we find that some of these bikes are only just "fit for purpose" and will work but not always as reliably as many owners would like....
All I will say is..... the Oranged Logo'd Car Accessory Shop & our LBS.... quote repair/service costs way too high so as not to get the business.....then they cry out on Facebook etc. to see if they can find a Mechanic to sort out their bikes......so they contact me....
I take the business, they get a working bike, they also get to know what the shortcomings are of the bike and I then get future custom from them and others..... Today I have had a full day..... 8 am start to a 7:30 pm finish..... I have done 5 home calls and 3 workshop jobs.... 4 were Store bikes, the rest were more expensive bikes, and clearly I am picking up the work the others don't want...... And Torvi... you are not alone and I'm across the border in Cambridgeshire if you really need help buddy..
To be honest the main reason im going into mechanics is because this or next year i want to start up my own unregistered bussines as a bike mechanic, im riding in my club there are like 80 people in it, that's a nice starting customer background, once i will be good enough at doing all the maintenance work, have all tools and set of spares ill launch it :smile:

Thanks for your post.

gbb

Legendary Member
no, it travels at random matter. well i mean whenever i do the "first shift of the ride out" it's always ghost one, no matter if i down or upshift
Then your setup Is the problem, probably cable tension, maybe cable routing. Theres almost certainly nothing wrong with the shifter itself.

Top Bottom