Yet Another Light Qustion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Young Un

Yes there is yet another person looking at lights.

I am rapidly loosing my monthly mileage to the winter evenings(used to do about 40 miles altogether on weeknights).

I have already have a front and rear but they are only cheapy jobbies and so might just about do for the beeing seen rather than see where youre going lights.

I maily ride on unlit country roads and so need something that would provide enough liht to see where I am going and to see potholes up ahead at about 20mph.

My max max budget is probably £50 for both front and rear would would like to spend as little as possible. Any recomendations would be gratefully recieved!!

Cheers Steve

ps just found what i currently have

OP
OP
Young Un

Young Un

I commuted all last winter with these Young - Un. Nice and bright -I got mine from geargurl (USA) and it was a lot cheaper if I recall. Somewhere there are comparisons - Hairy Jock usually posts a nice review.

Of course, there are Cree LEDs from Tescos with an appropriate mount...:angry:
- and their little button lights. Check out the bargains if any remain.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Young Un said:

I bought an EL530 a couple of years ago. IMO its not enough on its own for unlit roads. I recently bought one of the £10 Tesco torches - it is twice as bright as the Cateye. With the Cateye on the bars and the tesco torch attached to my helmet with elastic bands I was OK to 25mph on unlit rural lanes.

OP
OP
Young Un

Young Un

Jay - was definately cosidering this as a back light along with the one i have already got.

Just need to find an equally good front light to go with it.

Seriously look at the Tesco torch with either a Twofish lockblock to mount it or one Panter recommends in this thread using NiMh rechareables as recommended in this thread. I'd consider backing it up with a proper cycle light for sidewas visibility as well.

Tynan

Veteran
back is easy but front is going to be hard with that budget uless you go the teco route, plenty on here seem very excited by them

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Aperitif said:
I commuted all last winter with these Young - Un. Nice and bright -I got mine from geargurl (USA) and it was a lot cheaper if I recall. Somewhere there are comparisons - Hairy Jock usually posts a nice review.

Of course, there are Cree LEDs from Tescos with an appropriate mount...:biggrin:
- and their little button lights. Check out the bargains if any remain.

Wouldn't want to disappoint so here it is, this is last years by the way, this years should be out soon...

Hairy Jock said:
Wouldn't want to disappoint so here it is, this is last years by the way, this years should be out soon...
Will this years review include the Tesco 3w though...:biggrin:

I reckon you could do a lot worse than go down the Tesco torch route. The other thing that you haven't included in your budget is batteries. Get a smart charger (the kind that won't fry your batteries) and some big capacity AAs and AAAs. You'll save a fortune in the long run.

Top Bottom