Yet another motoring organisation that gets VED wrong

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldroadman

Veteran
You know what - duty & tax is irrelevant! Far more important bit to emphasise is that it's a charge levied against the use of a motorised vehicle and not levied against the use of the road.

At last a comment that's factual and not just semantics. Or dull. Or both. Read this thread start to finish and the will to live can disappear........:banghead:

bpsmith

Veteran
I think post number one did that in its own! The rest is by groups of bored people trying to liven it up. Not even cycle related, which this sub forum leads you to think, that's the irony of it all.

400bhp

Guru
am I the only one who doesn't give a stuff what it is called? The words tax and duty are interchangeable in every conceivable usage, and the bit of paper is currently a disc.

You're not the only one.

Hoover
vacuum cleaner
suction device powered by electricity to remove dust from carpets.

We all know what the 3 mean.

gbb

Legendary Member
am I the only one who doesn't give a stuff what it is called? The words tax and duty are interchangeable in every conceivable usage, and the bit of paper is currently a disc.
No you're not. The use of pedantry when argueing a case with a usually irate motorist...trying to point score over someone whos alreasy p1ssed off is even less likely to gain any credibility, in fact it'll do exactly the opposite...IMO.
Roadtax, VED, emissions duty...we ALL know what it is, the exact wording isnt important...IMO.
Ive never had it said to me in fairness...'you dont pay roadtax'.....but if I did, I'd rather more likely say in return...grow up you soft tw@t...which I suspect is equally inflamatory :smile:

oldroadman

Veteran
If anyone tells me I don't pay road tax I point out that I do, for my huge car
As do all those cars at the major races, supporting the sport, plus the buses, trucks, motos.....Mostly driven and staffed by people who still ride bikes for pleasure, long after their competitive careers are done.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
You know what - duty & tax is irrelevant! Far more important bit to emphasise is that it's a charge levied against the use of a motorised vehicle and not levied against the use of the road.

yebbut that's not quite right though it's levied against a motor vehicle only if vehicle is to be used on road. If you keep your Bentley in a field and never use it on road, you don't have to pay (after filling in the right form)

GrasB

Veteran
yebbut that's not quite right though it's levied against a motor vehicle only if vehicle is to be used on road. If you keep your Bentley in a field and never use it on road, you don't have to pay (after filling in the right form)
The levy maybe waived under certain conditions
- using the vehicle on private property only
- vehicles over a certain age have it waived for the protection of historical vehicles
- vehicles which are more environmentally friendly have VED reduced or waived entirely
There are also exceptions eg. vehicles used in food production often have VED waived

Top Bottom