Yet another motoring organisation that gets VED wrong

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
and anyway all duties * are taxes even if not all taxes are duties.

And anyway, I though council tax was very.much on the property not the individual.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
:reading:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Council Tax is applied to a person, therefore if you rent a house you pay council tax. If you rent a car you don't pay VED. You also don't get a discount on VED if you are the sole driver of a car.

Council tax bands in England and Scotland are determined by property valuations made in April 1991, not the people living in the house.

GC

bpsmith

Veteran
Council Tax is applied to a person, therefore if you rent a house you pay council tax. If you rent a car you don't pay VED. You also don't get a discount on VED if you are the sole driver of a car.

Still don't see any difference. Ownership of said house or car has no influence on whether Council Tax or VED is paid on those items. It's still has to be paid on them to allow them to be used. Discounts have no bearing on this argument either.

jay clock

Massive member
ps, as a Belgian I am far more annoyed about the use of the word "Belgium" as an adjective. A box of Godiva chocolates (genuinely Belgian) described themselves as "Belgium Chocolates". You wouldn't say Greece Ouzo, or France garlic. A far more interesting debate than the road tax malarkey,

Or MOTs? Did the OP invest time to write to Halfords about this http://www.halfordsautocentres.com/...CaxXkpaQhZ5qgQCOT9dUqUueWZ3cXSb5psaAgeM8P8HAQ

I am looking forward to the TAx Disc going

The first muppet who says " you don't pay Road Tax", and my answer will be ...... "Can you prove that you have?"

martint235

Dog on a bike
Still don't see any difference. Ownership of said house or car has no influence on whether Council Tax or VED is paid on those items. It's still has to be paid on them to allow them to be used. Discounts have no bearing on this argument either.
Ok this is getting tiring now. Council Tax is not necessarily paid by the person owning the house. VED is paid by the owner of a car. Is it really so difficult to get your head around?

bpsmith

Veteran
Ok this is getting tiring now. Council Tax is not necessarily paid by the person owning the house. VED is paid by the owner of a car. Is it really so difficult to get your head around?

I think that you need to read more posts in this thread.

Just having a laugh, like others, as this thread had no real point other than a rant. :smile:

Profpointy

Legendary Member

So, an excise duty, which is a form of taxation, payable by car KEEPERS, not necessarily owners, for the right to use said cars ON THE ROAD, is not a road tax.
Hey ho

Top Bottom