Yet another motoring organisation that gets VED wrong

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
We've just renewed our RAC membership and we got a free gift - a tax disc holder! I guess they've got a warehouse full of the things to get rid of by October...

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
If the DVLA has produced a film entitled "Goodbye to the tax disc" then they are as much to blame as anyone for the confusion.

martint235

Dog on a bike
am I the only one who doesn't give a stuff what it is called? The words tax and duty are interchangeable in every conceivable usage, and the bit of paper is currently a disc.
Duty is only applied to goods. Tax can be applied to goods and individuals. Therefore a duty is a type of tax. They aren't interchangeable.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Bingo. It's a duty applied to the car depending on its emissions rating.

does that mean we should have been calling "dog licences" "dog excise duty" then?

and so council tax is really an "excise duty" too

martint235

Dog on a bike
does that mean we should have been calling "dog licences" "dog excise duty" then?

and so council tax is really an "excise duty" too
Why? Is your car license the same as your VED disc? One's a license, one is a duty.

How is council tax a duty? It's applied to an individual not a good.

Duty is only applied to goods. Tax can be applied to goods and individuals. Therefore a duty is a type of tax. They aren't interchangeable.

bpsmith

Veteran
Council Tax to a House is surely the same as Car Tax (deliberate mistake) to a Car?

I think that was the comparison meant. i.e. No House = No CT and no car = no VED.

bpsmith

Veteran
More importantly...yet another CC member gets the name of the forum wrong...it's all about Cycling and Bicycles and, last time I checked, Driving and Cars weren't on the agenda...

martint235

Dog on a bike
Council Tax to a House is surely the same as Car Tax (deliberate mistake) to a Car?

I think that was the comparison meant. i.e. No House = No CT and no car = no VED.
Council Tax is applied to a person, therefore if you rent a house you pay council tax. If you rent a car you don't pay VED. You also don't get a discount on VED if you are the sole driver of a car.

Profpointy

Legendary Member

"bingo" was the term

And the dog licence was surely a tax for posession of a dog ergo "duty", not a licence for being allowed to take a dog into a public place or whatever.

(I am somewhat taking the piss if it's not obvious)

bpsmith

Veteran
"bingo" was the term

And the dog licence was surely a tax for posession of a dog ergo "duty", not a licence for being allowed to take a dog into a public place or whatever.

(I am somewhat taking the **** if it's not obvious)

Me too, and the OP has missed that too, along with ignoring my post after too.

Top Bottom