Yet more guidance on hybrids please (c.£350 to spend)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MickeyL

Advice on hybrids please – appreciate this has been asked before but I can’t see any recent posts from members with a similar budget. I have recently sold my road bike due to being of an age where the seating position had become uncomfortable and also sold my trusty old Diamondback MTB, also for age reasons – just not going on to rough terrain anymore.

I wish to replace both with a hybrid and have narrowed my choice down to three or possibly four. My budget is around £350 and I want front suspension (I know a lot of you out there will question whether this is needed, but I do intend to still go off-road onto woodland path type surfaces). I would appreciate comments from anyone with experience of my chosen few or indeed other suggestions. I also have a preference for the handlebar stem to be adjustable. In no particular order they are:

Giant Roam 3 (2011). Can’t find anyone selling for less than £394

Claud Butler Explorer 400 (2011), RRP £370, which I have found at £315 (or possibly the better 500, which I can get at £340)

Mongoose Crossway 350 (2011). RRP of £359, but seen it at £305 for the V break version.

The other possible is Land Rover Commute 4.9 RRP of £420, but generally selling at £374.

All have 24 spd Shimano Acera, so nothing to choose from there. The Mongoose & Land Rover both have the lock-out on the forks (as has the Land Rover) and also has the advantage of being the cheapest. In terms of looks, I am leaning towards the Giant or the CB though. I have yet to try and blag a test ride on any but have at least sat on all but the Mongoose. I am dubious about the Land Rover, as (1) the tyres are far too slick for a hybrid, although obviously replaceable and (2) I had simply no idea they made bikes until I started looking. Is the name just a gimmick? Incidentally I have rejected Trek and Scott, plus a few others.

I have looked where possible for last year models, but they are becoming short of stock and/or don’t have the same spec.

chugsy

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Giant Roam 3 2011 for £350 here
smile.gif

OP
OP
M

MickeyL

Thanks Mcshroom for spotting the Giant at a discounted price. To answer Chugsy's question - inside leg of 31". I generally go for 20" frame.

Mickey

billy1561

BB wrecker
MickeyL i have the CB Explorer 400. It's been a fairly decent bike to ride as a commuter. Quite nippy and good handling. Only problem i have had is 3 broken spokes on the rear (2 different occasions) although i can quantify that with my weight, 19st at the time and a very pot holed canal path which i took at speed :whistle:
For the price, it's a good machine.

albion

Guru
Amazon still have a few 2009 Mongoose at £231.How it compares to the Carrera Crossfire 2 I'm not too sure.Methinks all your list will have pros and cons. It happens at this price level.

Personally I'm still happy to do off-road without suspension though I do avoid the rougher stuff.

OP
OP
M

MickeyL

Thought it only fair to let you know what I plumped for, in case anyone is in a similar dilemma and comes across this by searching. Typically, none that were on my shortlist!

It is a Viking Urban Platinum and the spec and pics can be see here.

http://www.parkersofbolton.co.uk/p-2808-viking-urban-platinum-27sp-gents-hybrid-bike.aspx

I bought it at their sister company in Bolton for £50 less than the advertised website price. Attraction was – in budget (well almost!), one up the hierarchy of Shimano gears from the typical Acera set, quite light and as is often the case, it just felt right. Having been riding it for the last two months, I’m still very pleased with my choice. It didn’t meet my wish list of lock out on the forks but they are at least adjustable. If there was an option, I would also have preferred not to have had the bar ends fitted.

Top Bottom