Yet more real steel. And definitely some titanium too.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Hang in there my friend….

Despite the hospital getting ready to wave me off on Friday, leg is seemingly unchanged, and still pretty breathless. Anticoagulant dose has been doubled, both to see if things progress faster, and to see if the wound can handle it without starting to bleed again. The other problem is that spending many hours a day with toes above nose seems to be compromising what minimal core stability I'd built previous to the clots appearing. All a big trade-off.

Despite the hospital getting ready to wave me off on Friday, leg is seemingly unchanged, and still pretty breathless. Anticoagulant dose has been doubled, both to see if things progress faster, and to see if the wound can handle it without starting to bleed again. The other problem is that spending many hours a day with toes above nose seems to be compromising what minimal core stability I'd built previous to the clots appearing. All a big trade-off.

Sounds horrendous DC

Hope they get you sorted soon.

Take care.

Discharge later today. Will doubtless be asking that section of CC that have experience of DVT/PE a lot of questions!
Seems improved today, but there's no getting around it - anticoagulants for life is the new reality for me.
The biggest thing to take away is that the goal of giving me back a spine I can walk with = 100% successful. Job done.
Three months off the bike, minimum. But it's worth it.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It sounds like things are moving in the right direction!

Are you going to be taking one of the new oral anticoagulants rather than warfarin? I have been taking warfarin for 10 years, but I think the evidence is now in favour of the new drugs and they are more convenient (you don't need to be so careful about what you eat, or need regular blood tests). When I get home from my Devon holiday I am going to ask to be transferred to a NOAC/DOAC.

The first time round I was off the bike for 8 months, though I could probably have got back on after 6 months. I used walking to get my fitness back. At first, it was walking very slowly for 50 metres, leaning against walls to rest. I built up to going 350 metres to the shops, then back, stopping 3 or 4 times each way to rest. Once I could do it without the rests, I started walking more quickly. When I was starting to feel up to it, I enlisted a very steep path and walked as far up that as I could, turning round when I felt tired/breathless. Eventually, I could get all the way up and added some flatter walking at the top. After a few months I could walk up the steep path as quickly as most people walk on the flat. Then it was time to cycle again... I hope that your recovery goes something like that, without any further complications!

Last edited:
Top Bottom