Yoga will improve your riding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I have tried it.
Never made it to the end of the block of classes I bought.
Not my cuppa, half of it was sleeping, I have no trouble of falling asleep on my own, for free :laugh:
But I get what you're saying, the stretching poses bits I did like.

Bonus

Veteran
Hi guys it's just a thought that most of you would of had maybe anyway and maybe even participate in but I strongly suggest you find time for Yoga if you are serious about keeping fit and cycling to a good standard.
I do Vinyasa Flow so its not as slow as some forms and its incredible. Keeps you flexible and also protects you from injury. If you have never tried it I can recommend ones to check out online anytime.
Happy cycling, Alex xx

Mrs Bonus swears by Yoga. I have tried once or twice. Finding the time is the problem for me.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I've been practicing and teaching Iyengar yoga for over twenty years.

The physical and mental benefits are great.

Gives a good balance between strength and flexibility.

Great for better posture / lung function / awareness of breathing whilst riding.

Prevents tightening of hamstrings - which can lead to back trouble, and injuries.

Sorts out back issues.

I could go on.. And frequently do.. :angel:

Teaching it keeps also me solvent enough to afford train / ferry tickets to go touring.

Yoga brings wins all round for me :rolleyes:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
A great source of income I was thinking of doing the teacher training course somewhere xx

If you want it to be quick don't choose Iyengar..

At least three years classes, with an already qualified teacher,

Then two years rigorous teacher training, to introductory level..

Plus more year long upgrades if you want to extend syllabus.
Very scarey practical and theory exams.

Beware not all teacher training (or teachers) are the same.

Some schools will give you a 'certificate' after a two week residential.

Some stuff looks positively dangerous.. Some of the stuff I've seen on utube makes me wince. (so I dont watch)

No apparent awareness, of alignment, anatomical knowledge, or sequencing.

Lots of waft, incense, pseudo cosmic nonsense.. and badly done 'pretzelling' in fancy leggings.

Sadly it's making a mockery of the ancient art, science, and philosophy of Yoga..

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

I do Hatha yoga, mostly basic stretches, and a few more advanced poses. Helps keep me mobile now I'm in my late sixties.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
@Globalti thinks drinking beer is better for you than stretching especially if you have tight muscles ;)

Drinking beer is nice too..

Balance in all things :bicycle:

Too much beer can lead to over balance though.

Might be an idea to learn to stretch those hamstrings properly, as well .

Could be the source of the butt ache.

But good to keep em lengthened anyhow.

Lots of runners and cyclists in my classes, find it ups their performance, lessens injuries.

It won't improve mine, I won't be doing it. It's not something that's ever appealed despite friends and family cajoling me. I do stretch and roll though, which is becoming more necessary as time takes its toll.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I tried to join a local yoga group but they weren’t overly keen on upsetting their core female clientele. I didn’t feel I would benefit if I was to ‘force’ myself on them so I politely didn’t enquire further. As it happens life went silly and I would struggle to fit it in now. When my youngest daughter is a bit older and can stay home-alone, I’ll shop around again.

Yoga would be amazing for me. I am too frenetic and dynamic for my own good. I do well shutting down occasionally as meditation has shown me. I need a ‘slow’ hobby for balance.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I tried to join a local yoga group but they weren’t overly keen on upsetting their core female clientele. I didn’t feel I would benefit if I was to ‘force’ myself on them so I politely didn’t enquire further. As it happens life went silly and I would struggle to fit it in now. When my youngest daughter is a bit older and can stay home-alone, I’ll shop around again.

Yoga would be amazing for me. I am too frenetic and dynamic for my own good. I do well shutting down occasionally as meditation has shown me. I need a ‘slow’ hobby for balance.

It's odd how yoga is so often seen as something mainly women do.
In its country of origin the gender take up is equal.

I have a fair proportion of men in my classes.

I think some of them turn up expecting it to be fairly easy compared with say a gym workout.

They are fairly quickly disabused if this notion.

Yes it may look 'slow' to the uninitiated.
But holding still in a correctly done yoga posture is just as much, if not more work, than moving through a sequence of movements from one place to another.

Although we do that as well.

But the benefits are multiple.

It definitely helps to focus, a monkey like brain.

Many Premier league teams of this that and the other use yoga as part of their training programme.. Reduces the injury rate, ups the performance.

Give it a go @Heltor Chasca yoga (done well) is great for everyone, of any age or gender.

tom73

Guru
@Heltor Chasca sounds like me been searching for a slow hobby for years. :wacko: You're so right about groups being mostly female. I use to go to Pilates class at the gym but it felt all wrong so no longer go. Someone set up an all male Pilates group near me as a safe place for men to talk about mens health and wellbeing. I'd go but he's priced out most inc me it's a shame as it's only accessible for ones who can afford high fees.

I'd love to try Yoga but not many classes round me guess it's youtube for me just need the time :smile:

@AlexS once you're ready and you really want to learn how to teach with community and social focus. It's not too many miles away from you Northern collage is the place to go it's teacher training like no other. They do basic though to PGCE. I did my PGCE at Northern I loved every minute such a magical place.

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
I love yoga, especially after a few days of Tri training, it definitely helps work out all the knots and tightness - plus it just helps me clear my mind.

I do most of my yoga at home, a couple of years of physio exercises, plus binge watching Yoga With Adriene (AMAZING CHANNEL...CHECK IT OUT!) has definitely helped. I actually plan to do some later as I have a mini triathlon tomorrow....and had a big run and swim yesterday...
https://www.youtube.com/user/yogawithadriene

Top Bottom