York environs October ride - *25th October*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zacklaws

Guru
>>>and it's mostly quite flat. Ish.<<<

I'm a bit concerned about the "Ish" bit, does it stand for, one small hill, I saw hills or I sincerely hope?

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
There are a number of hills, none of which is really all that tough, but enough not to be billed as a flat ride....

All short and sharp as opposed to long and grinding....

Soltydog

Legendary Member
A note for the East Yorkshire/Hull posse - There will be no trains from Hull to York on that Sunday, so it's either a long cycle ride, or a drive over to the park & ride ;)

zacklaws

Guru
I'm up for either way, if it comes to park and ride I can take two, due to me having to collapse my back seats to fit the bikes in.

Park and ride could be the best option as it may give us longer riding in the York area and not have to worry about racing home to beat dark.

Off fishing now till Thursday, get away from everything for a few days and unstress.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Ok, I know we have a couple of weeks, but I'm away this weekend....

If we want to take in the tea room at Bolton Percy, and there's more than 4 of us, I should let them know (I dunno what difference it'lll make, but the girl said let them know baout more than four people). So if I can have a provisional list of interested folk, and then I'll double check nearer the time....

If I can, I might use one of my last free weekdays this week to do another recce run. I'm torn between Bolton Percy for the outward cakestop or the homeward, the other option for each direction being Tykes in Tadcaster - I'll check what time they close on Sunday. I'm thinking we could try the cafe at Thorp Arch for lunch?

I'm hoping for the usual relaxed pace and high calorie intake...:sad:

HelenD123

Guru
I'm coming! And I've just seen Velocidad and he's probably coming as well.

Is Tykes the teashop next to Cyclesense? Spandex and I were served by a very grumpy old guy in there. I think it was the end of a long day for him.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
HelenD123 said:
I'm coming! And I've just seen Velocidad and he's probably coming as well.

Is Tykes the teashop next to Cyclesense? Spandex and I were served by a very grumpy old guy in there. I think it was the end of a long day for him.

It is - I've always been served by cheerful girls, so hopefully it was a one off... Perhaps better to go there early then....

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
I've recce'd the cafe at Thorp Arch, and if the treacle sponge is anything to go by, it's worth the trip!

hulver

Fat bloke on a bike
I'm a definate yes for this one.

Will it be the usual 10am start from the Minster?

[EDIT] Also the clocks go back on Saturday night as well.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
yes, 10 am I think, unless anyone is coming by train (I think that's unlikely, as there are no trains from Hull) and needs a later start.

call it a 9.30ish meet for a 10am set off.

zacklaws

Guru
Has anyone any plans yet for how all of us from Beverley, Mappleton and Hull are getting to York and a meeting place. To get there for 1000 at a guess from Beverley would probably mean setting off at about 0730 for a slow pace there via the country lanes

Soltydog

Legendary Member
zacklaws said:
Has anyone any plans yet for how all of us from Beverley, Mappleton and Hull are getting to York and a meeting place. To get there for 1000 at a guess from Beverley would probably mean setting off at about 0730 for a slow pace there via the country lanes

I'm driving over & picking Velocidad up. I was looking at making it a ton ride, but it will be dark just after 5 on Sunday & I dont fancy cycling all the way back from York in the dark (i'm a woos, I know :angry:)

zacklaws

Guru
Ok, that sounds good to me, are you parking up at the park and ride on the left as you go into York on the A1079, if so I'll meet up with you and ride into York.

Anyone from Beverley, Hull and surrounding area need a lift, room for one only as I have to collapse back seats to fit bike in.

Helen are you sorted for getting there?

HelenD123

Guru
zacklaws said:
Ok, that sounds good to me, are you parking up at the park and ride on the left as you go into York on the A1079, if so I'll meet up with you and ride into York.

Anyone from Beverley, Hull and surrounding area need a lift, room for one only as I have to collapse back seats to fit bike in.

Helen are you sorted for getting there?

I'll be staying with Spandex the night before so will already be in York.

Top Bottom