York environs October ride - *25th October*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zacklaws

Guru
Ok, that sounds good to me, are you parking up at the park and ride on the left as you go into York on the A1079, if so I'll meet up with you and ride into York.

Anyone from Beverley, Hull and surrounding area need a lift, room for one only as I have to collapse back seats to fit bike in.

Helen are you sorted for getting there?

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
OK, so I think we have:
me, helen (is spandex joining us?), solty and velocidad, zacklaws, hulver. Any more I've forgotten, or who want to join us?

Meet by 10am, but the earlier we can get off, the better I guess, so if we're all there by 9.45 we'll go...

The plan is: leave by 10, head to Tadcaster for morning coffee/tea/etc, then head on to Thorp Arch retail park, via Bramham and Thorp Arch village and the bike path. Depending on the time I may lead you on a dastardly longer detour just to add a windmill and two flyovers. The cafe at Thorp Arch retail park for lunch, then on to D'Oyleys at Bolton Percy (subject to me ringing up and checking they are open, they should be). There will be some cycling between the cafes, I promise...;)

In the event of foul weather, or gathering gloom, we can shortcut back and leave D'Oyleys out. As ever, tea is on offer chez Arch for anyone who can squeeze in.:blush: I may get round to baking some cookies.

I don't think the Galaxy will be ready, I need a few nuts and bolts and can;t really get to a bike shop before Saturday, and I'm too lazy in the evenings to do much anyway. So the ever faithful FCR will have another outing, possibly it's last before the Winter Service. Hopefully the Gal WILL be ready for Admin's birthday ride.

HelenD123

Guru
Sounds like my sort of ride:biggrin:. We'll be teaing next to Cyclesense presumably so you could stock up on nuts and bolts then?

I think Spandex is coming along. I'll double check next time I speak to him.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
HelenD123 said:
Sounds like my sort of ride:biggrin:. We'll be teaing next to Cyclesense presumably so you could stock up on nuts and bolts then?

I think Spandex is coming along. I'll double check next time I speak to him.

Not only that, we'll be lunching near them too!;)

Alas, they don't also have a branch in Bolton Percy!

And remember everyone. CLOCKS GO BACK ON SATURDAY NIGHT! You get an extra hour in bed. Don't turn up at the Minster an hour early....

Has everyone met up in York before? We meet at the benches near the west end of the Minster. That's the narrow end without the scaffolding.

HelenD123

Guru
Arch said:
Not only that, we'll be lunching near them too!:biggrin:

Alas, they don't also have a branch in Bolton Percy!

And remember everyone. CLOCKS GO BACK ON SATURDAY NIGHT! You get an extra hour in bed. Don't turn up at the Minster an hour early....

Has everyone met up in York before? We meet at the benches near the west end of the Minster. That's the narrow end without the scaffolding.

I did think that. I haven't been the the Thorpe Arch branch yet. What excitement I've got to look forward to:biggrin:.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
zacklaws said:
Ok, that sounds good to me, are you parking up at the park and ride on the left as you go into York on the A1079, if so I'll meet up with you and ride into York.

Anyone from Beverley, Hull and surrounding area need a lift, room for one only as I have to collapse back seats to fit bike in.

Probably going to park in centre of York, then there's no time constraints on the P&R, although I doubt we'll be that late :biggrin:
I can prob squeeze 3 bikes in my car with the odd wheel taken off if you want a lift too?

zacklaws

Guru
Do I take it that "park and ride" you have to pay, its that long since I have been into York I cannot remember what I have done in the past when I have used them and I have not the faintest regarding parking in the center.

If you have room then I will share a lift but I am still not sure how Helens getting from Beverley and she may need a lift too or even just back if she is planning on pedalling through, and if so then we can all meet up and I'll follow you into York.

HelenD123

Guru
zacklaws said:
Do I take it that "park and ride" you have to pay, its that long since I have been into York I cannot remember what I have done in the past when I have used them and I have not the faintest regarding parking in the center.

If you have room then I will share a lift but I am still not sure how Helens getting from Beverley and she may need a lift too or even just back if she is planning on pedalling through, and if so then we can all meet up and I'll follow you into York.

The park and ride is free if you park and cycle into town. They charge you for the bus ride.

Don't worry about me. I've made my own arrangements.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
HelenD123 said:
The park and ride is free if you park and cycle into town. They charge you for the bus ride.

Don't worry about me. I've made my own arrangements.

I gather that you can park and cycle from all the parks EXCEPT Askham Bar (the big Tesco one on Tadcaster Road). I don't know how they know how you get into town, but worth knowing in case they are watching you to slap a ticket on.

zacklaws

Guru
I was planning on using Grimston bar unless I come through with Solty, but I see they lock the gates after the last bus which is no problem for the evening, 1800, but the first bus is not till 1000am so I shall have to give them a ring to see what time they open in the morning

MockCyclist

Hey, I'll join you, if I'm welcome. I usually amble around the countryside on me tod but you're near my back yard so I'll give it a go.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Soltydog said:
You are more than welcome :laugh:
Warning though, don't eat too much before you set off as Arch will have plenty of 'cake' stops planned :laugh:

Amen. Oh, I must remember to ring D'Oylys today to warn them.

I make us 8 now.

I'm hearing varying forecasts - possibly windy:sad: but also possibly sunny:smile:.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Arch said:
I'm hearing varying forecasts - possibly windy:sad: but also possibly sunny:smile:.

Just seen the weekend forecast this morning & I saw windy but dry too :becool:
Just pop me at the front, apparantly I make a good wind break :smile:

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Soltydog said:
Just seen the weekend forecast this morning & I saw windy but dry too :becool:
Just pop me at the front, apparantly I make a good wind break :smile:

And I'll just shout directions, excellent!

Here's hoping for the headwind on the way out, anyway, so much nicer to be wind assisted on the way back. I touched 21mph freewheeling briefly on Sunday, after a 20 mile or so jaunt, made up for the 5mph I'd sunk to into the wind at one point...

I think most of the route is twisty enough that we won't suffer for too long at a stretch anyway.

Top Bottom