York-Humber Bridge-York Saturday, June 9th, 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jody

Stubborn git
I will check the dates and let you know if either are OK to do. As for the distances @ColinJ I normally ride between 20-30 miles per ride, but did the outskirts of Sheffield to Skeggy (approx 100 miles) last year with a mate in about 6 hours so should be OK. I also have winter legs at the minute but this will be a good focus and get back on the turbo or out if this weather ever improves.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I will check the dates and let you know if either are OK to do. As for the distances @ColinJ I normally ride between 20-30 miles per ride, but did the outskirts of Sheffield to Skeggy (approx 100 miles) last year with a mate in about 6 hours so should be OK. I also have winter legs at the minute but this will be a good focus and get back on the turbo or out if this weather ever improves.
Oh, well you would have no problem with this ride then!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

A hundred miles in six hours?

@Jody will be waiting for us.
I reckon (with good weather conditions!) that most of us could do this route in about 6 hours ride time (16.7 mph), but only if we cracked on, hardly stopped, and skipped the chat altogether! It would be a bit awkward for you though because IIRC your ebike's motor cuts out above 15.5 mph? If so then instead of getting a welcome boost, you would just be pedalling a very heavy bike! :whistle:

PS And, of course, this ride is actually not about speed and IS about chatting and looking around so we definitely will NOT be going at anywhere near that speed for long.

Jody

Stubborn git
A hundred miles in six hours?

@Jody will be waiting for us.

I am no racing snake and the question was only to guage if you guys were going to be out for a fast pace ride. The weather was almost perfect when we did the 100 and we only stopped once for cake in Woodall Spa :hungry: The 6 hours was moving time according to Strava and my computer.

Don't take me the wrong way. I'm far from a quick rider :laugh:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Well, the rural road bits anyway. Obviously, cycle paths and town roads tend to be slower ...

I couldn't!
It is many years since I last rode the Manchester 100 event (so maybe I couldn't achieve it now!), but 6 hours used to be my target riding time and that route has a much lumpier elevation profile than the Humber route - about 1,000 m of rolling Cheshire hills.

Anyway, it won't be an issue because we will be aiming at 3-5 mph less than 16.7 mph! :okay:

Freds Dad

Veteran
Put me down as a possible for either date, but it depends whether I am on call and if I am can I swap.

I'm thinking of either driving to York or getting the train from Manchester Airport. What time is the ride expected to get back to York and are there bail out options on the way back if my knee plays up?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Put me down as a possible for either date, but it depends whether I am on call and if I am can I swap.

I'm thinking of either driving to York or getting the train from Manchester Airport. What time is the ride expected to get back to York and are there bail out options on the way back if my knee plays up?

Back to York probably for about 7pm.

I will be in an open all hours car park, but we had a problem one year with riders who were parked in, I think, a park and ride car park which closed at 8pm.

Inevitably, the ride was delayed for one reason or another, so we deployed our resident cat something-or-other racer @busdennis to lead those with impending parking problems home at a fast pace.

As regards bailouts, the best point is probably Brough station near the bridge which this year will be after about 50 miles.

Bikes allowed on services to York 'at the discretion of the conductor', but the one time I travelled I formed the impression permission was all but automatic.

Stamford Bridge, cycle path 66 to Dunnington (IS THAT A GOOD SURFACE?),
If it's the one that goes over the old viaduct, through the fairy wood and then left a few hundred yards before the balloon tree - no, it's bloody awful! Lovely route, atrocious surface including a section across a field on a dust and rubble track.

If avoiding poor surface I normally go along the main round, right just after the balloon tree, Warthill, Osbaldwick.

From Pocklington to Beverley, route 66 (I think that's the number) is bloody lovely. I have a ride report from an accidental century I rode that way once, I'll see if I can find it.

May also be worth checking the FNRttC route to Cleethorpes.

Skipwith Common (which I think was mentioned somewhere) has featured as the 'Comedy Offroad' section on a couple of rides I've organised. People rode it on road bikes... there may have been some hilarity and mild swearing.

I probably have some routes and/or pictures knocking about somewhere if they'd be any use, but am off out to a gig in a mo so it'll be later before I can rummage.

View attachment 404001
That's on the cycle path between Dunnington (the one going past the play park) and Stamford Bridge - there's a bit through a residntial area, past the park, then an incredibly potholed bit of road, then a lumpy footpath, then a Silly Sustrans gate, then you get to where this photo was taken, and then the going gets proper rough....

My guests have just arrived from darn sarf, I'll look for more later!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

[QUOTE 5211946, member: 10119"]If it's the one that goes over the old viaduct, through the fairy wood and then left a few hundred yards before the balloon tree - no, it's bloody awful! Lovely route, atrocious surface including a section across a field on a dust and rubble track.

If avoiding poor surface I normally go along the main round, right just after the balloon tree, Warthill, Osbaldwick.
[/QUOTE]
It DOES go over the old viaduct and eventually along the side of the A166 for a while. I don't mind the surface in your photograph. I suppose it depends on how much worse than that it gets ...

I would ride a mile or two on this sort of surface on my road bike ...

CAADX on Pennine Bridleway.JPG

CAADX on gravel road to Walshaw.jpg

But NOT this ... (That ride was done on my CX bike which has more appropriate tyres for the rough stuff.)

CAADX Back Lane looking towards Mytholmroyd.jpg

[QUOTE 5211946, member: 10119"]From Pocklington to Beverley, route 66 (I think that's the number) is bloody lovely. I have a ride report from an accidental century I rode that way once, I'll see if I can find it.

May also be worth checking the FNRttC route to Cleethorpes.
[/QUOTE]
It sounds very nice but it would add too much climbing and distance for this ride so I will save that for another time.

[QUOTE 5211946, member: 10119"]
Skipwith Common (which I think was mentioned somewhere) has featured as the 'Comedy Offroad' section on a couple of rides I've organised. People rode it on road bikes... there may have been some hilarity and mild swearing.
[/QUOTE]
We will be sticking to the road, which looks to have an excellent surface on Street View!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

[QUOTE 5212182, member: 10119"]https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=44384.msg868651#msg868651
Ride report from my accidental century-ish[/QUOTE]
A fun read!

As for cycle paths ... I think the most straightforward thing to do is to ignore the ones at Stamford Bridge and use the lanes north of the A166 instead.

How about crossing the river in Stamford Bridge then turning right up Buttercrambe Rd and heading through Upper Helmsley, Warthill, and Murton to rejoin my original route at Osbaldwick? It only adds about 2 miles on and probably wouldn't take any longer because it would be ridden on a much better surface.

A fun read!

As for cycle paths ... I think the most straightforward thing to do is to ignore the ones at Stamford Bridge and use the lanes north of the A166 instead.

How about crossing the river in Stamford Bridge then turning right up Buttercrambe Rd and heading through Upper Helmsley, Warthill, and Murton to rejoin my original route at Osbaldwick? It only adds about 2 miles on and probably wouldn't take any longer because it would be ridden on a much better surface.

I actually really like the using the viaduct - it has a Silly Sustrans gate but also a lovely view - and the 100 yard or so jink through the fairy wood straight after. Our normal route from Stamford Bridge is something like this
https://goo.gl/maps/DtxspNsGiSK2
which involves a few hundred yards of the A166.

Top Bottom