York ride in June? **13th June ride to Pocklington**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Yes, are you heading North or South out of York (or East or even West B) )?

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
willhub said:
I might be back in York by then, possible.

17th is my bday :angry:

snap!

Danny has suggested a route to Thixendale, which he says involves one dreadful climb, but then 3 miles freewheeling on the other side. There's a nice pub at Thixendale. There used to be a cafe too, not sure if that's still there....

A mystery tour, yes, although I suppose someone would have to know where they were going...

I don't reckon I'll have a chance to recce the route though - partly why it would be good to have Danny along (and for his company, of course!)

Actually, I'm not even sure I've got the right OS map....B)

Shaun

Founder
It's a tentative maybe from me ... have to consult SWMBO as she's already given the Green Light for the first CC Meet-up (possibly with an overnight stay so I can do both days!!!! :biggrin:)

I'll keep an eye on this thread and let you know nearer the day.

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Arch said:
A mystery tour, yes, although I suppose someone would have to know where they were going...

Hmmm. A GPS could be programmed to give you directions, junction by junction, and to point out where the tea stops were. This could be done by someone not actually coming on the ride....

*Goes away cogitating*

zacklaws

Guru
I go to Thixendale at least twice a month, and yes there is about fourserious hills to climb out of the place, two I have now finally conquered after many months trying and two I have never ever attempted yet. But there is two other roads out of the village which are easy. But in the whole area there are other serious hills too but as the approach would be from York it would be uncharted territory for me so I do not know what else lurks in that area.

As for the pub and the cafe they are still there and I believe open but I never stop, soon as I start descending down into Thixendale its time to start thinking of climbing out the place.

As for OS maps prior to getting my GPS I used the following site for all my OS maps and just printed out what I wanted to whatever scale or detail I needed and throw them away when finished:-

http://www.maptasm.com/

Going into Thixendale from any of the 4 roads which come from the Southern side are steep decending into the village, and to get out the two roads that head West and East from the Northern side are easy enough but very scenic.

A quick look on mapsource with the Topo map shows that all roads approaching the wolds from the West have a serious climb up into the wolds unless I have missed one. Heading up towards Malton though and then heading South into the wolds seems less hilly.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Arch said:
Danny has suggested a route to Thixendale, which he says involves one dreadful climb,

Oh dear. The 'project' bike won't be geared for hills, so I may struggle (more than normal) :biggrin:

zacklaws

Guru
My lowest gear is 39 x 26 and I find it hard at times in that area. As for thinking it maybe easier to ride into the wolds from the North side, I discovered later that it is about as difficult as from the West side. I think the error was caused because contour lines on my screen running left to right did not show up as much as those running from the top to the bottom on my screen with mapsource untill I zoomed right in. Maybe have had something to do with my graphics card or pixellation

zacklaws

Guru
Yes well I am contemplating a compact or a triple but not sure which for riding in the wolds for my next bike, 53/39 with a 12-26 cassette is not that good, but it does make you improve over time.

zacklaws

Guru
Oh it is fine for everything apart from hills that are 12% plus, when I bought it I only had speed on the brain and I never considered the hills that I might have to climb which I had no problem with on my old road bike.

Perhaps if I lost more weight things may be better, but I'm getting there.

Top Bottom