York ride in June? **13th June ride to Pocklington**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Landslide said:
What time/where are you planning on starting off from?

Usual starting place is the west end of the Minster. Time... 9.30-10ish? If it's not awful tomorrow, I'll do the route and work out timings. I realised last night, we could perhaps have 11sises at the Balloon Tree farmshop, then lunch in Pocklington. No cafe I know of on the way back, but maybe two stops will be enough...;) I may be organised enough to have cake.

Pretty flat all the way, even on my terms. Maybe one short sharp hill, but again, that's on my terms, so probably not for you lot........:biggrin:

Anyone arriving by train and likely to be much earlier, is welcome as ever to take pot luck with tea chez Arch....

Landslide

Rare Migrant
If you can guarantee the flatness, and as long as any "detours" aren't too long, then my girlfriend looks to be persuadable to join us. First ride over that sort of distance, but on previous showings as long as we can calm her inner sprinter we should be OK!

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Landslide said:
If you can guarantee the flatness, and as long as any "detours" aren't too long, then my girlfriend looks to be persuadable to join us. First ride over that sort of distance, but on previous showings as long as we can calm her inner sprinter we should be OK!

Well, the flatness is pretty total - I can think of one short sharp nasty hill, and maybe a couple of more rolling lumps, and that's about it. And if she's flagging by the end, it could be cut down a bit, depending on which route we take back from Elvington.

Certainly nothing like the Peak District.

BTW, if anyone is the kind to be interested in water lillies and feeding ginormous carp, interested enough to pay a few quid to get in, Burnby Hall at Pocklington has a wonderful lake. Best flower display is in August/September, so there's an idea... And yes, there's a cafe.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
zacklaws said:
Where do people normally park in York for the rides?

I think one of the Park and Rides is the best bet, and then ride in. Parking is free. Which direction are you coming from?

There is a more central car park that people used, that was free, but only on a Sunday I think....

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Think of Mrs Uncle Phil and me some time on 13th. We'll be driving up from Dover (Mrs Uncle Phil has been working in France for a while. I'm going over to join her for a few days this Monday, then we're driving the van back together.

Otherwise, we would have been there.

Still, hope to see some of you at the York show.

postman

Legendary Member
Sorry another i will miss.Cos wed - thur- fri.I am doing my tiny tour.
Leeds - Brid-B&B. Brid-Atwick-Scarbrough-Wolds-Brid. B&B.Then back to Leeds on the friday from Brid.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Sorry another miss from me as well; still recovering from my (shoulder) op & have only got as far as seven miles (yesterday), hope to be ready for late June / early July though.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Your leader will be well informed. My spies tell me she's been out researching the route, with special attention paid to anywhere there's Tea. And Cakes.

All in the interests of the riders, of course.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Uncle Phil said:
Your leader will be well informed. My spies tell me she's been out researching the route, with special attention paid to anywhere there's Tea. And Cakes.

All in the interests of the riders, of course.

Funny, your spy looked a lot like you, only dressed all in black and carrying a suspicious looking case. Trombone, or machine gun...?

Right, did the route yesterday and ended up doing 55 miles, but that was the longest of the return options, plus two laps of the block because I got home on 54.5, plus a detour done to save face when I realised I'd missed a turning but had already said a cheery hello to a chap in a field on a tractor, and didn't want to double back past him again...:blush::thumbsup:

It is mostly dead flat. Exceptions are a short sharp hill near Warthill, (had ne down to my little ring, but after that it's virtually downhill all the way to elevenses), and some rolling bits in the last few miles before Pocklington - felt worse yesterday because I had a headwind. Nothing to take me out of my middle ring though. Once we are past lunch, it is really very flat - the odd humpback bridge, but that's it.

Took me about an hour to get to elevenses, but I reckon we might take a nicer route which is possibly shorter, but certainly avoids trying to cross the A64. I started to think I was going to need to camp on the central reservatin yesterday (until a nice 4x4 driver slowed and flashed me across). Anyway, how about we aim to be meeting up for 9.30, but it won't matter if we don't get going until 10. It's not a long way between elevenses and lunch - we could afford to kill time in Pocklington - beware, lots of charity shops!:tongue:

I got lucky yesterday, and found tea and cake in Elvington, as they were having a fete on. And typically, the next time they are doing tea and cake in the village hall there is in 2 weeks time....:wacko: I'll see if I can google anything happening along the way back next week, if not, there are villages with pubs if anyone feels in need of a stop (or there may be cake brought along)

I'm hoping this will be a leisurely-ish affair - can't believe I'm saying that of a potential 50+ miler! But (thinking of Mrs Landslide here) we can shorten it if anyone is flagging (that includes me!:tongue:)

If I can work out how, I'll bung up a link to a marked map...

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Landslide said:
:wacko:
I would say don't go giving her any ideas, but she''s already having them...;)

Well, I didn't think Ms Landslide sounded right, and I don't know her surname....

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Any idea on start time yet ?
I'll be on the train
Option 1 - 0840 TPE service from Hull & change at Selby (5min connection time) for arrival in York at 0946
Option 2 - 0902 Northern direct service to York. Arrive in York at 1010 hrs :tongue:

Top Bottom