York ride in June? **13th June ride to Pocklington**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Not had time to change the gearing on the 'project' bike but looking at the route profile I should just about manage :tongue: Looks a nice route

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Soltydog said:
Any idea on start time yet ?
I'll be on the train
Option 1 - 0840 TPE service from Hull & change at Selby (5min connection time) for arrival in York at 0946
Option 2 - 0902 Northern direct service to York. Arrive in York at 1010 hrs :thumbsup:

I'm guessing you'd prefer the latter? The Selby change sounds like a recipe for stress...

If everyone is ok with a slightly later start, I reckon we can do it. Can I suggest gathering at the Minster for 10, and we'll await Soltydog and then make off before he gets his breath back....:biggrin:

For those who've not met up in York before, we meet at the West End of the Minster, at the junction of Duncombe Place and Petergate. There's a little park with a war memorial and some benches facing the Minster, next to a row of bike stands, were we tend to meet up. I'll probably be there from 9.45ish anyway.

zacklaws

Guru
Paul

I'm going to drive through and park up at that first park and ride on the A1079 as you enter York and then pedal to the minster. I usually just remove my front wheel, some times both and lay the bike in the back of my car. Planning to park up about 0900 to give me thirty minutes to get to the Minster.

If you want picking up from Mappleton I'll pop through first. At a rough guess it would be about 0730. My only concern is if I recall your bike has a very large frame, but even so with both wheels removed it should fit in.

Nigel

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Cheers for the offer Nigel, but I'm hoping to do a ton on Saturday with the ride to & from the station, Arch's ride & maybe a bit more :thumbsup:
If the weather is shoot though I'll probably change my mind, so i'll let you know nearer the time if that's ok ?

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Do we have a definitive list of folk coming? I can PM my mobile number round in case of holdups etc...

zacklaws

Guru
I'm definitley coming, unless I have a crisis between then and now which I cannot see happening, but I will post a message if I cannot make it.

yep, i'm fully on board, although I can now blame my lack of athlectic ability on manthrax, bonus!

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Dalestar said:
yep, i'm fully on board, although I can now blame my lack of athlectic ability on manthrax, bonus!

Don't worry, I will be taking marks off for athletic ability. Any clever clogs racing ahead on the first hill can get the teas in at elevenses...:sad:

So, I reckon we're a select group - me, soltydog, zacklaws, the Landslide party and Dalestar. If I've missed anyone, just turn up for 10am anyway. We'll expect Soltydog to arrive about 10.15ish - I think you still have my number so let us know of any holdups.

I know of a couple of cafes in Pocklington - one I found last week, tiny, but very reasonably priced, so we might see if we can all fit in there...

If it's anything like today, we might want to buy ice cream in the shop in Elvington (or have a small beverage in the pub?)

See you all tomorrow!:sun:

zacklaws

Guru
Woke up feeling a bit too eager so instead of driving will be cycling through to York. See you at 1000

Setting off now (0800) if I average 15mph should be there smack on 1000

zacklaws

Guru
Thanks all for a wonderful day.

Got home in just under 1 hour 26 from outskirts of York, total of 110 miles for the day. On downloading from the Garmin it was 11 secs slower than getting to York, terrible.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Big thanks to Arch for organising a wonderful ride. I knew it was going to be a great day by the quality of the first tea stop an hour into the ride :biggrin: (Note to Admin the cakes were to die for :smile:)

Nice to meet some new faces, thanks all for the pleasant company all day, shows why CC is such a great place :smile:

Sorry I dashed off quickly for the train, but it's not the best of services from York to Hull & I didn't want to just miss one, as it was I had to wait about 20 mins, so I could have maybe squeezed in another cake stop :biggrin:

& thanks for the kind comments about the bike :wacko:

zacklaws

Guru
And thanks Paul, the "cycling fashion police man" for not noticing I had odd socks on. I noticed them myself when I put them on in the morning (they were almost the same colour which mattered) but it was not till we stopped in Pocklington when I realised how stupid one long sock and one short one looked even with one rolled down.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
zacklaws said:
And thanks Paul, the "cycling fashion police man"

LOL I'm no "cycling fashion police man" :biggrin: I'm sure they should have caught up with me a long time ago :tongue: Never noticed at all, but if you had odd shoes on I may have spotted that xx(

Top Bottom