York route advice - Ron Cooke Hub

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I'm going to a conference next week at the Ron Cooke Hub, part of York University.

I'll be travelling to York by train so it looks like it might be a good opportunity to dust off the Brompton to get to the venue from the station. I've got a York cycle map and it looks like I need to turn right out of the station onto Queen Street and make my way round to the Bishopgate bridge. Then I can join Heslington Road briefly before turning off into the university and through to the east campus.

Does that all sound reasonable or is there a better way? It's going to be a Saturday morning about 8.45 and return at 5pm if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
When I was a student there a century ago we used to head into York via Walmgate. So right out of station then first left through Micklegate in the walls. Follow that over the Ouse till you see Parlaiment Square( pedestrianised) on the left. Turn right into Picadilly then follow one way left and turn right.into Walmgate. Follow that out through the walls straight on into Lawrence Street. Head up the hill and turn right at top. Probably signs there now. There is an earlier cycle track cut through (or there was) before that after a student accommodation place on right called Fairfax House.

Slioch

Guru
Or (IMHO) a much nicer and quieter route would be to follow the river and Walmgate Stray cycle paths. A wee bit longer but much less traffic.

Turn left out of the station, go around the Lendal Gyratory and at the lights go straight ahead into Rougier Street.

Follow Rougier St to the end, then turn left and first right into Skeldergate.

Follow Skeldergate and fork left onto Terry Ave.

Follow Terry Ave beside the river for about a half mile then cross the river over the Millennium Bridge.

Once over the bridge bear left then immediately right through the barriers into Hospital Fields Rd.

At the end of Hosp Fields Rd at Fulford Rd, go straight across and follow the cycle path beside the army barracks and across Walmgate Stray.

At the end of the cycle path you reach Wentworth Way and the "new" part of the university. Turn right and follow the cycle path along the edge of the Uni buildings to Heslington Lane.

At Heslington Lane turn left and follow Heslington Lane for 3/4 of a mile, then turn right into Lakeside Way.

EDIT: Only downside to this route is you miss all the "nice stuff" in the city centre. If you have some time to kill, are unfamiliar with York, and like old stuff then a route through the centre taking in Stonegate, the Minster, and Shambles would be worthwhile.

Last edited:
OP
OP
annedonnelly

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Thanks both. I'll take a look at those alternatives.

@Slioch - no I don't need the tourist tour of the city. I've done those bits & I'm actually going to be back the following week for the Open Artist Studios event - minus bike!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I can't offer any route advice, but I am in the middle of one of my periodic tourist tootles around York.

Despite having an ebike, I was well and truly wiped up at the first traffic light grand prix by four or five other riders.

As I indicated left, a young lad on a cheap mountain bike undertook me.

I almost wish I'd knocked the little tyke off to teach him a lesson.

Time to calm the nerves with a pavement cafe coffee stop - and time for a lecture from the waiting staff about bike parking.

Things were a bit steadier on one of the paths beside the Ouse.

I attempted to do a good deed by calling out to a passing rider who dropped what turned out to be a French Connection glasses case.

She was going the other way, and I suspect misinterpreted my call as abuse because she appeared to speed up a bit.

Oh well, I plonked the case on top of a nearby bin in case she came back to look for it.

Who'd have thought riding two miles in York could be so exciting?

Slioch

Guru
Who'd have thought riding two miles in York could be so exciting?

You think that's exciting? Wait until you get one of their "bendy-buses" trying to overtake you on the inner ring road. I'm convinced the drivers have had their brains surgically removed as part of their conditions of employment. ^_^

Top Bottom