FNRttC York to Hull Friday Night Ride - 23rd June 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User10571

The missing were missed. @McWobble and I represented as best we could.
My bold
Kwality post.
Natch.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Hopefully as that's what I'm trying now - I understand @Soltydog is trying the same approach ... we suffer for science - such is our burden
Not sure the beers with breakfast helped, even with my experience I was struggling after 5 miles on the way home, but after a small nap this aft, I found the beers this evening very helpful ^_^ not sure if that's in a relaxant mode, helping sleep mode or other, but sure they were helpful :laugh:
Thanks again everyone who helped make this ride great, either by helping, just being there or a.n.other & well done @Shaun our great leader :laugh: who managed the whole ride with very minimal training :okay:

#akaAzerbaijanPaul

Last edited:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Yes it does. I finally partook of beer at Doncaster station, and that definitely helped. It helped pass the time waiting for my delayed train, and it helped me sleep on said train. York - Hull - Kilnsea - Hull came in at about 120 ish miles I think. The trip out to Kilnsea took about 2 hours even with the tailwind, mostly because the disused railway line soon degenerates to a rough track better suited to mountain bikes. Fearing that the headwind would put me under the cosh to get back for my train, I didn't risk going down the spit itself so that will have to wait for another time. As it turned out, even though the return was in to a sapping headwind, it took the same time.
I used this time wisely though. Taking advice from the @CharlieB school of time allowed for changing trains, I got an earlier one from Hull to Doncaster and drank beer.
Where was the beer shop at Doncaster? I tried, not very hard, and failed!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I am glad that circumstance forced you to finish.
So am I. Immensely glad, in fact.

Even though this morning my left ankle has unexpectedly gone on strike. And not a peep from it on the ride.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Yebbut never mind the body what counts is what's in the mind. Or as you could say: don't worry about the size of the dog in the fight. What matters is the size of the fight in the dog.

Wobblers

Euthermic
A few highlights for me:

Bumping into @Moodyman getting off the same train as I at York, and going for a swift pre-ride sharpener, and having @ianmac62 join us

Talking to people who I hadn't seen in two years or more

@User10119's cakes. I hope you can make on of the Friday night rides soon.

Seeing @GrumpyGregry, onna bike no less!, especially since the last time I'd seen him was the Felpham FNR in 2013 trudging towards a train station with a bike with frozen hub gear over his shoulder.

@User telling me how school kids had yelled "Look, there's Santa" at him earlier in the day. I did laugh.

The York-Selby cycle path was indeed a very different experience to the usual rural road.

Seeing Drax power station loom out of the drizzle and mist, a surreal sight ablaze with light.

Seeing the Humber Bridge loom closer in the morning light.

Commiserating with @wanda2010 over missing drinking companions in Wetherspoons

@mmmmartin thanking me for the "intelligent conversation" before going off to catch his train. Ha! I fear you'd been up too long - at that point I scarely retained the ability to grunt, let alone converse.

Meeting @Shaun, at long last. In fact, a special shout out to Shaun, for managing the whole 70 miles despite having done almost no cycling this year - and still smiling at the end of it! I hope you can make it to the Manchester-Morecambe FNR. True, it's hillier. But it's also shorter, and even a few weeks of commuting does wonders for your fitness.

ianmac62

Guru
Many thanks to @Flying Dodo for a great ride, superbly organised. In his own photographs he is too modest to record the efforts he made for us in the section through South Ferriby just as it was coming to life.

IMG_1600.JPG

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Have been home since five or so after a most splendid epic weekend....

For not the first time, this was an FNR/gig combo- whether the night before, same night, or night after, I've done them all. But this time it was perhaps the most apt gig of all. The band so enthusiastically pro-cycling that they released first the greatest musical reference to bike racing ever- the Tour de France single- then an entire album of that same name some years later. Renowned for on occasion getting off the tour bus early and riding to gigs. Jerseys, bottles and mitts available on their online store. Some years back, they played a show at Manchester Velodrome, featuring guest appearances on the boards from Mr Thomas, Mr Clancy, Mr Kenny and Mr Staff. Oh, and they're also playing a show in their home town of Dusseldorf the night of the TDF Grand Depart (featuring aforementioned album in full). Who else, Die Mensch-Maschine, Kraftwerk, at the Albert Hall. Some online moaning about the choice of venue, sound, viewing angles..... Well, it was fab from my spot in the gallery. Awesome 3-D effects, excellent sound, cracking setlist, and Ralf Hütter was unexpectedly chatty- he made a comment about playing Dusseldorf after they played the TDF suite, and a whole four words in his send-off. 'Good night. Auf Wiedersehen' :smile:

In the morning, after a night at LSE Bankside Hall (cheap, reasonably comfortable and an excellent breakfast, as on my first stay), I spent the morning at the little art gallery over the road.....had to photograph the notorious Carl Andre ode to bricklayers.....
35358548321_8a990477fa_h.jpg

Then, at two, on from Kings Cross to York. Slight panic at York as train manager didn't realise a bike was leaving the train (why exactly have mandatory cycle reservations then?). Mooch around the NRM for a bit. Had a quick chat with Greg, making my excuses at 4.55 as I was expecting mine host Daryl to be meeting me shortly. Gave him a quick call from the street corner at 5.05. He was just wrapping up a meeting, he'd be with me shortly. He arrived at 5.45…unfortunately the meeting was with an Italian chap who refused all entreaties to finish their business via Skype and said the same things four or five times :rolleyes: Daryl then again demonstrated his protestations of cycling slowness were mere sandbagging as we made it to Newton on Ouse, 10.5 miles by his route, in 50 minutes despite traffic & negotiating a locked gate. Back to an enthusiastic welcome from the lovely Jen and these two chaps....
Stanley, eater of soil and subwoofer par excellence…
35362031062_d832e5ab4b_h.jpg

and Gus, here seen in little-spotted static mode....
34688010254_e2fb079e70_h.jpg

As ever, Jen's culinary skills were deployed to much appreciated effect. Incidentally, she was most gratified to hear the positive response to the choc orange brownies. I did my bit but still returned some leftovers. Between Jen's (rather large) batch of choccy loveliness and Kat's feeding of the 5,000 strong pro team training camp, I think the ride achieved Peak Cake :hungry::hungry::hungry: Friday's pre-ride nommage was pasta with venison meatballs. Czech-made mincer's brand name tickled my eye...
35490326146_f2231c857b_h.jpg

Thoroughly fed and brownies in pannier, I made my way south again at 10.15. I went for the direct route (1. Go to A19. 2. Stick with it until Petergate) and covered the 8.5 miles in 38 minutes. First to the Minster- I'd rather have allowed more time rather than less- where I was rapidly joined by Martin and the rest of the peloton.

As for the ride- it has been missed. This is one of the jewels in the crown for me, and it's been a crying shame not to have it in the calendar the last two years. I had somewhat mixed feelings about the changes to the start- yes, very nice it was, but we did miss out, unlike on the old route, this suitably bizarre local gem...would have fitted nicely with the solar system-themed path had the two worked in combination. But Drax was pretty awesome. OK, not pretty, just awesome. Garthorpe hospitality was splendid and judging by the way the contents of that table largely vanished, much appreciated by all of us.

The undoubted highlight for me, as always, the Bridge. Most gratified to see that (unlike its brother across the Severn) there were no silly signs, let alone electronic boards, with a speed limit for the cycle lanes, merely thoroughly sensible advice to give pedestrians priority and share the space nicely. Good stuff, highways persons.

And then to Hull. For once I turned down the Largest Available Breakfast Option- I wasn't actually that hungry and still had much cake to fuel the possible ride back to Newton. Had the porridge, and it was pretty good. Bade my farewells and set off to ride north-west, or at least see how it went, with the option to get gouged by Northern Rail for the next train back to York if the headwind proved too brutal. And it was. Three-quarters of a mile on Anlaby Road was enough to make me chuck in the towel and pay the extortionate £19.80 rather than slog into that for (probably) five hours. Most of the ride is NW rather than westerly, but those bits were clearly going to be very hard work and knacker me for the rest. Back in Newton at noon, and the land of nod not long after. A most pleasant evening (cracking barbecue dinner then quality iPlayer viewing) followed.

Bid my farewells this morning and sped back down the A19. 33 minutes from Newton to the end of Bootham 8.6 miles later. Unfortunately, it then took another five minutes to make the last stretch to the station. Traffic lights...and though I was still in plenty of time, the train wasn't- service was twenty five minutes late due to a breakdown at Edinburgh & train change. Couldn't make the fast service south from Waterloo, and then because of four other cyclists leaving the train in insufficiently rapid fashion at Fratton, I got stuck onboard and had to get off at Portsmouth & Southsea five minutes later. Put the anger into the cranks instead of words and made at least some of the time back.

Back to work tomorrow for a rest ;)

Splendid job Adam, and thanks one and all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom