Yorkshire dialect

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GetFatty

Über Member
It's just an arbitrarily defined administrative district, you know.
It's not. It's where we stick all those people not worthy of being in Lancashire. They tend to need a wash hence it rains so much

classic33

Leg End Member
Mostly West Riding.
Makes us sound thick
Please let’s stop typecasting Northerners. Northerners typecasting us is even worse.
The county is a fine place, with a huge and subtly varied lexicon - but I for one am bored by this incessant music hall nonsense.
South & West North Riding.

T'ain't music hall nonsense, but a dialect that is slowly being killed off. Generally by folk who seem to want to put where they're from behind them. Almost as though they're ashamed o'where they came from.

Check the works of Arnold Kellett, in trying to preserve the various regional dialects within the County.

classic33

Leg End Member
My Grandparents were frum Alifax & it were allis Spice there!
Well, in "Toffee Town", what else.
http://www.toffeetown.org.uk/toffee_town_adverts

PaulB

Legendary Member
T'int in t' tin sounds like tintintin from Sheffielders.

As someone wrote above, there's a noticeable reduction in real Yorkshire-speak and that is regrettable. I know some might think it will be beneficial because we live in a global environment (on hold - temporarily) and people have to make themselves understood when they communicate but I have good evidence that it hasn't held certain people back.

I won't mention names or give any clues but there's a very strong South Yorkshire accent remaining and I know several people who've risen to the top (as high as you can go in one case) of their professions with 'Kes'-era accents and they sound fantastic. One particular person is as broad as that kid above and she is top of her particular tree - hasn't held her back, all thee-ing and tham-ing. One of my colleagues (an Ulster lass) demanded evidence of this so I took her with me on one trip to meet as many such people as we could and she began skeptical with her Van Morrison-like accent and finished the day sounding like Ian Paisley, she was so delighted hearing unrefined South Yorkshire! I did have to interpret a few comments for her.

Top Bottom