Yorkshire dialect

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Apparently, instructions on how to behave at traffic lights caused problems...

"Wait while light is red, then go"!

(Yorkshire: 'while' = 'until'!)

MarkF

Guru
I don't hear "Yorkshire" unless I go south of Leeds (rare), Castleford, Wakefield , Barnsley etc. I recall meeting some lads from Barnsley in Corfu when I was teenager, it was like they were from another planet, I had no idea what they were on about. Fortunately, my kids have a neutral accent my mothers elocution investment paid off at last! I do like Yorkshire/Pakistani, it's like Geoffrey Boycott under water wearing a balaclava.

DRM

Guru
there’s a lot of variation in words used, for example, West/South Yorkshire your packed lunch for work is your snap, in North Yorkshire right through to Tyneside the same thing is your bait, an alleyway in West Yorkshire is a ginnell, in Hull it’s a 10 foot, one phrase I can remember from being a child is being told to stop lakeing abaht by’t kerb and get on’t coarser, tha’ll tummel off and brek thee leg.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
there’s a lot of variation in words used, for example, West/South Yorkshire your packed lunch for work is your snap, in North Yorkshire right through to Tyneside the same thing is your bait, an alleyway in West Yorkshire is a ginnell, in Hull it’s a 10 foot, one phrase I can remember from being a child is being told to stop lakeing abaht by’t kerb and get on’t coarser, tha’ll tummel off and brek thee leg.
It's all one word, it's a tenfoot in 'Ull, we allus went larkin in tenfoot, gerring a croggie off your mate.

classic33

Leg End Member
Ginnel is more the west West Riding than the east West Riding.

But take into account there's words in use in one part of the Riding, be it North, East or West, that'll not be be used in another part of the sane Riding.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Oh gosh, Yorkshire people thinking they're unique and special again. Unique in having some form of dialect, and special in believing their particular county is the best one.
It's nice, it really is. Unique and special, it isn't really. Sorry Yorkshire. Every county in the land has nice things, nice scenery somewhere, some local foibles and oddities. You don't live in "God's country".

classic33

Leg End Member
Oh gosh, Yorkshire people thinking they're unique and special again. Unique in having some form of dialect, and special in believing their particular county is the best one.
It's nice, it really is. Unique and special, it isn't really. Sorry Yorkshire. Every county in the land has nice things, nice scenery somewhere, some local foibles and oddities. You don't live in "God's country".
It's as much about the loss of regional accents, words and sayings, for me.

Why should we all speak the same, given we're from different parts of a larger country. We're in danger of losing a lot more if we lose the regional variations.

Top Bottom