Yorkshire dialect

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Don't know about dialect but a favourite phrase might be " Ow much!". ^_^

OP
OP
Venod

Venod

Eh up
‘tin tin tin’

I may have posted this before but the above phrase reminded me of work, we inhereted a few southerners from Littlebrook workshop that shut down, so some transfered to us at Ferrybridge.

One of them was working on a large gearbox that drives the coalmill in a power station, it had various pockets in the casting one of which was filled with oil that shouldn't have been there.

The foreman said to him " get oil owt t oil " the look on the southern guys face was priceless, he had no idea what he meant.

classic33

Leg End Member
In the beginning there were Three Ridings and none of them had 'South' in...

Ps remember where @Shaun is from ;)
http://www.greengates.karoo.net/hull/speak.html
And there's part of Scotland in the Southern West Riding!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
'Spice' is used around Cas[tleford]/Pontefract but not Leeds.
I used to get my fruit and veg from a stall at Hebden Bridge market. The stallholder was from Leeds. We used to get on well, and he'd often put things that I liked to one side if they were selling out before I got there. I was very surprised when I arrived one week and he held up a handful of garlic and said "I've put these to one side for you, love"... That felt very odd to me, raised in the Midlands! :blush:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I've been over this before, but being from a mining town in town north of Birmingham, i instantly recognise and use some of them phrases and dialects. We mostly had miners from the North East and Scotland (My Grandad was Scottish) but we had some from Yorkshire and Wales also. Sadly, since the mines closed down in the early 90's and people move away, presumably back to where they were born and bred and the youth of today all speaking similarly no matter where they're from (at least to me) a lot of that "history" is being lost... Im probably going to be the old fart on a park bench that people look funny at in many years to come...

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I used to get my fruit and veg from a stall at Hebden Bridge market. The stallholder was from Leeds. We used to get on well, and he'd often put things that I liked to one side if they were selling out before I got there. I was very surprised when I arrived one week and he held up a handful of garlic and said "I've put these to one side for you, love"... That felt very odd to me, raised in the Midlands! :blush:
Oddly enough, though I was born in Leeds, the first time I recall a man calling me 'love' was in Sheffield. It surprised me as the family had left Leeds for London when I was young, and you'd never hear it down south.

keithmac

Guru
Had to laugh as someone said I had the most Northern accent they'd heard, though nothing of it until my Daughter said "Dad's ont drive fixing car" to my wife (must have picked it up from somewhere!).

Top Bottom