Yorkshire Hills

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

uclown2002

Guru
There are?

Globalti

Legendary Member
I live in (North) Yorkshire and started off avoiding steep hills like the plague but your choice of routes are very limited if you do!

I've only just started embracing the challenge and as long as I can get halfway up before the burn starts I can get to the top of most average hills as big factors in getting up them are mindset and technique.

I hate the feeling of failing to ride up even more than the pain endured of getting up them which helps!

I've done a couple of Polaris trailquests in the North Yorkshire Moors and think it the most stunningly beautiful and overlooked part of Britain. It is characterised by flattish tops intersected by very steep valleys. Riding around there, I always felt that if I looked up a few degrees I should be seeing some snowy Alp soaring skyward.

byegad

Legendary Member
Shhh! don't tell people. It'll be full of Southerners* talking too loud and getting on everyone's nerves if they find it. (Not likely as every good suvverner knows that the world ends at Watford Gap.)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
And parts of East Lancashire were in God Own County just over 40 years ago!
I made a point of asking potsy to take this photo on my recent forum ride to prove it!

border-jpg.41088.jpg

That is at the top of the Trough of Bowland climb, well into what is now called Lancashire.

classic33

Leg End Member
Boundry changes that came into force on April Fools Day 1974.

Edited to add this bit:
Imagine waking up on the 1st April 1974 and finding you now lived in Lancashire!

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Sad day for a lot of people that. Similarly there were a lot of people who used to be in the East Riding that ended up being part of Humberside, the poor beggars. Mind I think there are more "former East Riding of Yorkshire" signs than ones for Humberside in at neck of the woods.

Back to the Hills:

I must do Rosedale chimney again sometime. I grew up around there and have done it on my old "racer" as road bikes we're known in those days and also on a 3 speed Raleigh Commando, which nearly killed me, standing on the pedals barely moving around the S bends.

The Milk race came through there on one or two occasions at least I remember so the old pros have been up it.

Top Bottom