Yorkshire hills

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ozboz

Guru
You can go to any hill, it's apparently God's own country so I keep being told - their hills are bound to be the finest in every sense of the word.

But their tea is bloody average.
Yorkshire ,,, Gods Country ...
But we must remember ....
God is not always very kind

MarkF

Guru
If he is going to Yorkshire then surely the Dales will provide the best memories? ColinJ's suggestion sounded great to me.

I'd get the train to Leeds, change to Saltaire, see the world heritage site then crack on with Colin's trip. If there is no time for culture, then there is the easy 20 mile Aire Valley warm up, Saltaire to Skipton. :okay: West Yorkshire is for he-men cyclists, I laugh in the face of foreign climbs. ^_^

classic33

Leg End Member
If he is going to Yorkshire then surely the Dales will provide the best memories? ColinJ's suggestion sounded great to me.

I'd get the train to Leeds, change to Saltaire, see the world heritage site then crack on with Colin's trip. If there is no time for culture, then there is the easy 20 mile Aire Valley warm up, Saltaire to Skipton. :okay: West Yorkshire is for he-men cyclists, I laugh in the face of foreign climbs. ^_^
There's some slight inclines out of Otley!

@ColinJ 's route is definitely good, though I'd omit the 'warm up from York' aspect and warm up the car as far as Pateley Bridge - a much better idea which avoids all that tiresome flat stuff for a goodly distance around York. It's under an hour's drive from York to Pateley Bridge.

And following on from the 'start in Pateley Bridge' theme. Here's a Strava route which includes four climbs from '100 climbs' (and 'another 100').
https://www.strava.com/routes/8176425

The hill out of Lofthouse, in Nidderdale, is really rather 'good' (I forget the name). Then you roll round over some minor lumps and go over Grinton Moor towards Reeth, turning left in Grinton to go over another small rise (really, it's small) before heading up what is, imho, the best quality climb in the Dales, that being Fleak Moss. It's not necessarily the hardest, but it's about 7km long and has multiple steep bits and a great view of Swaledale throughout. Drop down to Askrigg (steep!) and proceed to Hawes (keep to the north side of Wensleydale for a continuation of largely traffic-free roads) before toddling up Fleet Moss form the north. I disagree with Colin on this: it's harder from the south as there are several steep ramps in the last 3km. From the north, it merely gets steeper and steeper and the last 800m or so contains the hard bits - the trouble is you can see the hard bit coming which can be ..... dispiriting maybe. Thereafter, it's a lovely ride down through Langstrothdale and there's a pleasing undulating B road route back to Pateley Bridge and down Greenhow Hill.

That's a little under 130km., but you can add in about 6km to go up and down Park Rash from Kettlewell. And/or you could add about 20km and do two more hard climbs up from Arnside and up/down the two Malham roads. Earlier on, you could add in about 10km by going over Oxnop Scar from Askrigg then back over Buttertubs Pass from the harder side (worth pointing out that Oxnop Scar from that side is much harder than Buttertubs and only marginally easier than Park Rash (which is 'really quite hard').

All of that will be largely traffic-free, apart from the B road from Grassington to Pateley Bridge, which is still not at all bad, but a much bigger road.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
... before toddling up Fleet Moss form the north. I disagree with Colin on this: it's harder from the south as there are several steep ramps in the last 3km. From the north, it merely gets steeper and steeper and the last 800m or so contains the hard bits - the trouble is you can see the hard bit coming which can be ..... dispiriting maybe.
That's what I find so hard about it! Knowing how hard the top section is, seeing it coming, and arriving at it already tiring from the long, slow grind up to it.

I find the south side easier because there are easier sections between the ramps in which to recover.
... a pleasing undulating B road route back to Pateley Bridge and down Greenhow Hill.
Please take it easy on that descent! :eek:

Top Bottom