Yorkshire jam cake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

Anyone heard of it?

The misses makes it. She's a Swansea girl, born and bred, but her mum's from Hull so I periodically get these 'oop north' concoctions, of which Yorkshire Jam Cake is one. Personally, I'd never heard of it and neither can I find reference to it... so I don't know if it's a family invention.

The other periodic gastronomic delight is parkin. Now that is well documented in Yorkshire tradition, and damned fine cake it is too!

Jam cake? Wot, like a Victoria sandwich?

Maz

Guru
I was born and raised in Sheffield, within touching distance of the footballing mecca that is Bramall Lane. I've never heard of Yorkshire Jam Cake. Ever.

Globalti

Legendary Member
My first girlfriend was a Yorkshire tart. I was about 16 and we groped in an abandoned garage; I was unimpressed at what I found up her jumper.

OP
OP
Y

yello

It's a short crust pastry jam sandwich kind of thing. Not without merit (after all, it is cake!) but not the most exciting thing you're ever likely to eat.

Parkin, on the other hand, ...

Maz

Guru
Rigid Raider said:
My first girlfriend was a Yorkshire tart. I was about 16 and we groped in an abandoned garage; I was unimpressed at what I found up her jumper.
If they felt like Yorkshire Puddings, I'd be unimpressed, too.

wafflycat

yello said:
It's a short crust pastry jam sandwich kind of thing. Not without merit (after all, it is cake!) but not the most exciting thing you're ever likely to eat.

Parkin, on the other hand, ...

Is it a layer of shortcrust pastry, then layer of jam on top of it, then a layer of shortcrust pastry on top of that - baked in oven and possibly dusted with sugar once cooked?

OP
OP
Y

yello

wafflycat said:
Is it a layer of shortcrust pastry, then layer of jam on top of it, then a layer of shortcrust pastry on top of that - baked in oven and possibly dusted with sugar once cooked?

Yep, that's it.

wafflycat

Then it's not a Yorkshire speciality I'm afraid! It's a fairly common way of using up left-over bits of pastry when homebaking. When I grew up & was seeing my mother/aunts/family friends bake it was a normal way to minimise waste & maximise edible food. And we aren't Yorkshire folk.

OP
OP
Y

yello

Well, it's Yorkshire jam cake as far as the mother-in-law is concerned. And I don't argue with her!!

Top Bottom