Yorkshire posse, anyone up for December?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
ComedyPilot said:
I work your route to be 17 miles each way Arch, and mine and Bandini's roughly 19 each way. Our elevation profile might be a bit interesting though!

17...ish. It's normally 20 the way I go, which is probably not the most direct. We'll probably take a slightly shorter route back into York, to save light.

Ok, so York posse, meet as usual at the benches at the West End of the Minster by the little war memorial park. We'll hope to be away for 10am.

Armegatron

Arch said:
17...ish. It's normally 20 the way I go, which is probably not the most direct. We'll probably take a slightly shorter route back into York, to save light.

Ok, so York posse, meet as usual at the benches at the West End of the Minster by the little war memorial park. We'll hope to be away for 10am.

For us newbies (:biggrin:), is the route going to be York to Pocklington & back? If so Im game.

Only problem is dates, would have to be a weekend for me Im afraid :biggrin:.

Mike

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Hi Mike,

Sorry, we've confused things a bit...

This Sunday, 13th, is the ride to Pocklington, starting from York. The other ride being mentioned is a night ride later in the month, and there's been a separate thread started.

So, are you going to join us on Sunday? If you can't make this one, keep an eye on this section, as we try and arrange a ride each month to a different location...

Armegatron

Arch said:
Hi Mike,

Sorry, we've confused things a bit...

This Sunday, 13th, is the ride to Pocklington, starting from York. The other ride being mentioned is a night ride later in the month, and there's been a separate thread started.

So, are you going to join us on Sunday? If you can't make this one, keep an eye on this section, as we try and arrange a ride each month to a different location...
Ahh, I see now :biggrin: .

Sunday I should be cool with, just have to ok it with the mrs :biggrin:.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Just caught up with this thread.

I think I'm free on Sunday, so I'll hope to be there.

I have a gig the night before, so if I don't show, start without me. I might catch you up.

(With luck, I might have the new (to me, and new paint) Moulton on the road by Sunday).

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Uncle Phil said:
Just caught up with this thread.

I think I'm free on Sunday, so I'll hope to be there.

I have a gig the night before, so if I don't show, start without me. I might catch you up.

(With luck, I might have the new (to me, and new paint) Moulton on the road by Sunday).

Cool!

If you do have to catch us up, we'll be riding out down the cycle path to Osbaldwick, then out to Murton, Stockton on the Forest, over the bump at Warthill, down to the main road past the Balloon Tree, into Stamford Bridge via the viaduct.... If you haven't caught us by then, we must be riding with rockets up our... panniers.

After Stamford Bridge, I think I'll have a change from my normal route and actually follow the route 66(?) instead of going off through Long Sutton and Fangfoss etc...

Armegatron

Any ideas on distances / times / average speeds?
Just worrying if Ill kill myself whilst riding this :laugh:

Have done Gt Ayton to Whitby, 30miles(ish) in about 2hrs 40mins before on my humble hybrid. Fairly new to all this and dont want to hold anyone up xx(

HelenD123

Guru
Mike,

You'll be fine. The route is virtually flat and we don't exactly sprint along. Just let us know if you're struggling to keep up and we'll slow down a bit.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Mike, your speed sounds ideal. It's about 20 miles each way, and I reckon on it taking about 1.5 to 2 hours each way - about 10-12 mph average. It's all pretty flat - one stiff little hill (I call it a hill, some people don't notice it much!) and possibly some nice rolling bits on the way back, depending on the route.

And there'll be a nice break for lunch and a rest at Pocklington.

Any ride I plan will tend to be fairly relaxed. If I want to be stretched, I let someone else plan the ride!xx(

These rides are fun anyway - no one's racing and we look after each other. Well, except when the pack took off after that lad on the MTB last time, but that still left three of us pootling along chatting...:laugh:

Keep joining us, and we'll have you doing the Grimpeur des Wolds next July...:biggrin:

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
HelenD123 said:
Mike,

You'll be fine. The route is virtually flat and we don't exactly sprint along. Just let us know if you're struggling to keep up and we'll slow down a bit.

Or, if you're going too fast, we'll shout you to wait for us....!xx(

Armegatron

Arch said:
Or, if you're going too fast, we'll shout you to wait for us....!xx(

We'll see :laugh:

Thanks for the advice, I think Ill chuck the bike in the car on Sunday, drive to the P&R and ride to the Minster to get going for 10am ish :biggrin:

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Great! I don't know which Park and Ride you'll use, just be aware that you're not supposed to park and cycle in from the Askham Bar one (no idea how they tell). Do you know York well?

Armegatron

Arch said:
Great! I don't know which Park and Ride you'll use, just be aware that you're not supposed to park and cycle in from the Askham Bar one (no idea how they tell). Do you know York well?

Not particulary well - I normally park at the Rawcliffe Bar. Looks like its locked up at 6 (so say 5:30 to be sure xx() but I reckon Ill be back well before then. I might give the office a call to check cycling from there is ok.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
mike.pembo said:
Not particulary well - I normally park at the Rawcliffe Bar. Looks like its locked up at 6 (so say 5:30 to be sure :evil:) but I reckon Ill be back well before then. I might give the office a call to check cycling from there is ok.

I'm sure it is. You can come down the riverside path, as long as you don't mind cattle grids, of which there are half a dozen, horrible rattley round barred ones too. (I hate cattle grids).

Oh, and assuming the riverside isn't under water, which I wouldn't like to guarantee, although we're predicted some dry days, the river goes up and down a bit randomly depending on the weather in the Dales.

TBH, coming in on the road from there isn't too bad, esp on a Sunday morning. I'd allow half an hour or so to ride in. The good thing is that you can see the Minster from some distance, so you know where to head to.

I'm usually sitting on the benches by the little war memorial park by 9.30-9.45. Coming from that way, you'll probably arrive automatically at the right end of the Minster. If not, look for the end covered in scaffolding, and then go to the opposite end.

If Soltydog is also Park and Riding, he'll be on the same time frame anyway. All being well, we'll be back by 4ish.

Top Bottom