You grass

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Right team, I need your agricultural advice.

I've found a box of grass seed in the shed. It's about 3 years old, and had been opened when new, some of the seeds used, and then resealed. Since then it's been stored in the coolish dry shed.

Is it still likely to be any good, or should I just bin it?

U

User6179

You can soak them in water for a few days to see if they germinate before you plant them.

classic33

Leg End Member
Can be okay upto five years, but that'll be "ideal conditions". Used some that was two years old, for small patches with few problems.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
There May be a lesser germination rate due to age (you’ll understand that one...) but you should be good with it.
I’ve used old grass seed before as my predecessor had bought a massive sack of it at work a couple of years before and it still germinated.

Either sow it thicker, or buy some more and mix it in(and sow it thicker)

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Seeds have been taken into the space station for some time and they still germinated when brought back to earth so yours should be ok.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Thanks team. It's a few small patches, probably where the cat uses the loo. Best to mix it with a bit of peat or compost perhaps?

A bit of sharp sand and sieved compos if you like. Make sure you cultivate the existing soil.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Try 'aerating' the ground with a fork first, just press the fork in, give it a wiggle then withdraw (now where I heard that before) but seriously the ground can become compacted and being an artificial worm can really help.

PK99

Legendary Member
Right team, I need your agricultural advice.

I've found a box of grass seed in the shed. It's about 3 years old, and had been opened when new, some of the seeds used, and then resealed. Since then it's been stored in the coolish dry shed.

Is it still likely to be any good, or should I just bin it?

Grass seed is cheap.
What you have will have degraded.
Bin it, buy some more for pennies

Top Bottom